Thread: Anyone try setting up flex fuel on an LC3/STS-V yet?

Potential Tuner

Anyone try setting up flex fuel on an LC3/STS-V yet?

I've been dialing in a customer's 2007 STS-V, It's becoming clear that there were only a handful of LC3's out there, especially modded. The car currently has about all the bolt on's available and a few custom bits, so E85 and possible SD conversion are something we're considering. My main concern is what the rods can take and sourcing compatible fuel system parts.
    I'm primarily a standalone guy (MoTeC, AEM, etc,etc) but I do EcuTek GTR programming quite a bit, so I'm versed enough to get technical with the car and the customer wants more. It's such an oddball compared to other GM stuff with dohc/VVT that going full SD seems like it will be a time suck seeing how many variables there are. I presume this is the reason virtual VE exists and how effective is it? Most of it seems straightforward comparatively to other platforms. Just putting feelers out there to see if the endeavor is going to be worthwhile in this platform. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Reach out to TimC and Dave Steck. I think Tim tried to do a conversion on his STS-V and Dave was working with a guy from the CadillacOwners.com site but I don't know if he ever worked it out. The biggest issue is there was not much of an aftermarket due to the limited production.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 11-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Potential Tuner
    Thanks @PGA2B, after trolling through the forum, I figured you would be the guy to answer in regards to the LC3 stuff. Unrelated to this post, in one of your posts I saw you had suggested switching the throttle rate increase area to 100 everywhere? What benefits did you gain there (plus I see that "may fry things" warning), I was apprehensive to adjust it.

As far as flex stuff I'm pretty inventive with modding fuel tank hangers for better E friendly pumps if it's not compatible with any other drop in's. I really like that FORE cts-v drop in kit, but I doubt it fits these. Then there's that question of where it's gonna bend or break a rod, I don't see any internal parts for these anywhere, and if it's getting corn-fed more boost is to follow. Just a rare motor overall, but I have to admit it's pretty advanced for an '07. Neat car overall.

The changes I made were to the Airflow>Area Rate Limits>Throttle Area Increase Rate I didn't make any changes to the Desired Throttle Area Table. It gave more consistent feel from the throttle and if I remember took out some lag in response in some areas. As far as internals, since the aftermarket was close to nonexistent I never looked to open the motor especially with the cam set up. There seemed to be a "wall" around 500-550rwhp that I don't know if anyone ever figured out. I had injectors, cooling mods, exhaust, intake, P/P Blower, and a 2.4" pulley and 459rwhp that is as far as I ever got.

I sure loved the car. Build quality was better than my current CTS-V. I traded it in with over 100K miles and it still smelled new and not a single rattle or squeak.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 11-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    The changes I made were to the Airflow>Area Rate Limits>Throttle Area Increase Rate I didn't make any changes to the Desired Throttle Area Table. It gave more consistent feel from the throttle and if I remember took out some lag in response in some areas. As far as internals, since the aftermarket was close to nonexistent I never looked to open the motor especially with the cam set up. There seemed to be a "wall" around 500-550rwhp that I don't know if anyone ever figured out. I had injectors, cooling mods, exhaust, intake, P/P Blower, and a 2.4" pulley and 459rwhp that is as far as I ever got.

I sure loved the car. Build quality was better than my current CTS-V. I traded it in with over 100K miles and it still smelled new and not a single rattle or squeak.
    Hmmm. I wonder if the wall was cam timing, on other platforms I tune I can usually pick up gains or shift the band over within reason. This customer daily's his CTS-V and the STS-V is his favorite as well. He's a big northstar fan overall. From what it looks like, we're going to give the flex option a crack over the next few months and see what comes of it. Hopefully I'll get through to the other fellows you mentioned and see what they think. Thanks again. This forum is actually really nice compared to some others I need not mention...

There were a few tuners that talked about the cam timing but I never played with it much as they said there were only little gains.

Good Luck and if I can be any further assistance let me know.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

I could never get it to work. Everything hooked up correctly, scanner showed 0Hz and 0%. I'd still like to make it happen, but I think it's something HPtuners has to enable and I didn't get a response from my request a couple years ago.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)