Thread: Couple of ?'s

Advanced Tuner

Couple of ?'s

I am playing with the calculated torque data, trying to figure out what the best combo of timing and AFR is. I know this doesn't represent the real tq number, but atleast it can show you trends.

Now, from the attached log, it says I'm making a ton of power from 4000-4500, and I'm diving off majory from 5500-6300.

1.) Is that normal or should I take that to mean I should shift earlier and get it into the tq band sooner?

2.) If it is not normal for the tq to dive off that much, what is wrong? Am I running too much timing, too fat, or both?

3.) The tq managment settings. I have the duration tables cut in half for time to ramp in and out. Wise?

- Brake Torque is set to 6046, although if this is only applicable when the brakes are on, is this really worth maxing out?
    4.) Could this cause the car to be lazy out of the hole?

5.) etc tps is all set to 100's. Is this wise? I want to calm down TM, but not eliminate it. I think this is why I have no traction control.

6.) I cut the Spark retard vs torque reduction and torque loss % vs spark retard in half. Is this wise?

7.) On the trans TM, I cut the torque reduction down by 20%.

8.) Should i only be changing TM on the trans and not the Engine if I only want to reduce TM on the shifts?

9.) Any advice on timing and afr?

Please answer all the questions. For some reason when I ask alot of questions in one post, only 1 question ever gets attention. Not trying to be a dick. I would appreciate any help. Log file attached showing torque loss and TM kicking in with wheelspin.

Thanks
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 08-17-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

1) Torque is dropping as it should after the peak but you are still making power. Most stock LS2's start dropping off the power at about 6200-6300. Amazing for a "stock" motor.

2) You are running a bit rich. If you lean out 1/2 point you will probably pick up some HP although you may have to reduce spark somewhat to run more efficiently. If you reduce spark all by itself, does the motor go leaner or richer? If leaner then you are using all the fuel and are running more efficiently. If richer then you need to add spark or reduce fuel.

3) That table is only used in Abuse mode.

4) I think you and I decided that this table is for brake torquing the motor and is out of the picture as soon as you lift the brake pedal.

5) You may want to adjust this so you have some TM with the ETC. If you are launching and killing the tires, you need to reduce this table.

6) That table is used in conjuntion with the TM tables in the trans. Yes you can reduce the amount of timing pulled during the shift with this table in conjuntion with the trans TM tables.

7) Fine and dandy. If you watch your timing during the shift you can see how this affects timing.

8) See 6 answer...

9) see answer 1

HTH
    EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    1.) Do you think I should shift earlier or keep revving it to 6300 even though torque is decreasing?

2.) So instead of 12.4 at peak torque (25*), lean it out to 12.9 with say 22-23*? Has that been your experience with getting the most out of stock ls2's?

3.) What does the computer consider abuse? Is abuse related to torque reduction during shifts? If I half the duration, will that decrease the amount of time the computer pulls time during shifts, yet still pulls the same amount of timing?

4.) I'm wondering if this causes a lag when letting off the brake because it is pulling timing and closing throttle to make sure you can hold the car on the line, then it takes a few tenths to ramp up to the spark you would normal have.

5.) I think if you set this to all 100's, you have zero TC, unless your traction control then comes solely from timing reduction? If you leave the table stock, and your sitting at the line at 1000 rpm with the brake on. You go 100% TPS. The table says your making 100 ft lbs at 1000 rpm, so your allowed to have a "2". What is 2? Surely its not saying I'm allowed to have 2% throttle is it? I would love to tweak this so I could mash the gas everytime, yet have the same acceleration curve for consistancy. Just need to understand it.

I guess my main problem is figure out why there is Engine TM, Trans TM, and what Abuse is.

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

Advanced Tuner
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    1.) Do you think I should shift earlier or keep revving it to 6300 even though torque is decreasing? If your HP is decreasing, shift.

2.) So instead of 12.4 at peak torque (25*), lean it out to 12.9 with say 22-23*? Has that been your experience with getting the most out of stock ls2's? Lean it out first and see how it responds. Then take out timing if necessary.

3.) What does the computer consider abuse? Is abuse related to torque reduction during shifts? If I half the duration, will that decrease the amount of time the computer pulls time during shifts, yet still pulls the same amount of timing? Going 20 MPH in reverse & slamming it in drive.

4.) I'm wondering if this causes a lag when letting off the brake because it is pulling timing and closing throttle to make sure you can hold the car on the line, then it takes a few tenths to ramp up to the spark you would normal have. It will pull timing and close the throttle (and apply the brakes) You can actually hear the ABS system wind up and apply the brakes on the dyno.

5.) I think if you set this to all 100's, you have zero TC, unless your traction control then comes solely from timing reduction? If you leave the table stock, and your sitting at the line at 1000 rpm with the brake on. You go 100% TPS. The table says your making 100 ft lbs at 1000 rpm, so your allowed to have a "2". What is 2? Surely its not saying I'm allowed to have 2% throttle is it? I would love to tweak this so I could mash the gas everytime, yet have the same acceleration curve for consistancy. Just need to understand it. You will have 100% throttle but Spark TM & ABS system TM will still be active unless you turn Spark TM off.

I guess my main problem is figure out why there is Engine TM, Trans TM, and what Abuse is.
    Engine TM is used to prevent tire spin on acceleration with a manual transmission and for calulating the amount of spark advance removed during trans TM. Trans TM is there during the shift or during *abuse* which is usually really brutal things people do to their transmissions.
    Always Support Our Troops!