Thread: LS3 coils with LS1 pcm

LS3 coils with LS1 pcm

I've always used coils that were a match to the pcm's and have had no issues. I'm tuning on a 2001 SS Camaro, stock pcm that has the later LS3 coils. I'm having some odd misfiring issues. I've eliminated the coils as being bad. I even want as far as trying the coils and wires from my 09 Vette. Misfire tables in the pcm have been deactivated. Are there adjustments I need to make to the pcm to use these coils? Or do I need to look for the problem elsewhere.

Advanced Tuner
    Well you can slap the ls1s' back on and see if it goes away since that's what you changed and now theres a problem but yes I'd imagine youd have to change the dwell settings because I'm assuming the inner workings of the coils are different

Advanced Tuner
    Find the dwell settings for ls3 coils and use them in your pcm and see if that helps.
    Find them in the repository.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if its boosted what is the plug gap?
    .035-.032 up to about 15 psi
    .032-.028 up to about 20 psi
    .028-.024 up to about 30 psi

if you check everything out and the new ls3 dwell settings still aren't working try knocking the plug gap down by .002 per test until it goes away. if it doesnt then something else mechanical is causing issues.
    is this a dished piston motor or a high quench motor?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Thanks. I'll try the dwell settings from my vette.

This motor is an 11.3:1 compression build. There is a fogger system on it. The pistons have a small dome but large valve reliefs.
    The misfiring is inconsistent, different cylinders. The plugs look fine so I know its getting fuel. Not fuel fouled at at all.
    Last edited by streetlegal; 11-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Interested in the outcome.