Thread: Why is my timing taking a dive causing my idle to fluctuate when clutch in?

Potential Tuner

Why is my timing taking a dive causing my idle to fluctuate when clutch in?

Hi guys,
    Just starting messing with my tune (for the first time). I have a 02 SS Camaro (using 2000 operating PCM) with a 227/234 on 113 cam, 243 heads milled .030, fast 92mm, and all bolt ons. Dynoed 442 rwhp. I have since picked up hptuners and started doing my own tune and making improvements. I have been on the fourms reading, read both of greg banish's books, dan maslic's and watched greg's DVDs.

Also, I am currently running the car full OLSD

Anyways, Ive been using Russ_K's Idle Config with a few other things added in, as well as my AEM wideband reading into my MVPI port. Currently have my car idling very nicely around 14.4-15.2 at 825rpm and 22* idle timing. IAC counts are between 35-55 at full operating temp, I cut my idle over/under tables a decent amount as it caused my idle to osculate after awhile. Finally, I am dialing in the BRAF with desired air each morning before work after any of the changes I make. Really happy with how everything has progressed, I just cant get the car to stop dropping the idle down to about 400rpms and then catching, going up to about 1000 and then settling back in at my idle. Same thing happens when i push in the clutch to go around a turn, or approaching a stoplight. However, it only happens maybe 4/10 times. I added to my throttle follower table, and that seemed to help quite a decent amount. However i need some help figuring out these last few bugs.

I have attatched my current tune (look in the notes section; Ive been writing down every change I have been making so I can trace my steps), as well as a log where I have caught it happen a few times on my ride home from work. (Starts at 31:28 of log). I cant figure out why my timing just nose dives to zero..my adapt idle isint pulling it, looking in my spark table log, my timing should be 19*. My over/under tables peak at +/- 12*

Someone enlighten me
    10-28 log on way home from work - idle still wants to die here and there.hpl
    825 Idle - Updated 104-176 RAF - Was trying to stall while driving before changes.hpt
    Last edited by austing95; 10-30-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by austing95 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Just starting messing with my tune (for the first time). I have a 02 SS Camaro (using 2000 operating PCM) with a 227/234 on 113 cam, 243 heads milled .030, fast 92mm, and all bolt ons. Dynoed 442 rwhp. I have since picked up hptuners and started doing my own tune and making improvements. I have been on the fourms reading, read both of greg banish's books, dan maslic's and watched greg's DVDs.

Also, I am currently running the car full OLSD

Anyways, Ive been using Russ_K's Idle Config with a few other things added in, as well as my AEM wideband reading into my MVPI port. Currently have my car idling very nicely around 14.4-15.2 at 825rpm and 22* idle timing. IAC counts are between 35-55 at full operating temp, I cut my idle over/under tables a decent amount as it caused my idle to osculate after awhile. Finally, I am dialing in the BRAF with desired air each morning before work after any of the changes I make. Really happy with how everything has progressed, I just cant get the car to stop dropping the idle down to about 400rpms and then catching, going up to about 1000 and then settling back in at my idle. Same thing happens when i push in the clutch to go around a turn, or approaching a stoplight. However, it only happens maybe 4/10 times. I added to my throttle follower table, and that seemed to help quite a decent amount. However i need some help figuring out these last few bugs.

I have attatched my current tune (look in the notes section; Ive been writing down every change I have been making so I can trace my steps), as well as a log where I have caught it happen a few times on my ride home from work. (Starts at 31:28 of log). I cant figure out why my timing just nose dives to zero..my adapt idle isint pulling it, looking in my spark table log, my timing should be 19*. My over/under tables peak at +/- 12*

Someone enlighten me
    10-28 log on way home from work - idle still wants to die here and there.hpl
    825 Idle - Updated 104-176 RAF - Was trying to stall while driving before changes.hpt

Thats weird.
    I would take a look at DFCO -- maybe bump up the timing at lower rpm and see if that matches what your seeing.

Also you could goto Spark - advance - minimum spark and make that something sane.... 5, 8, 10 etc.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome, I will take a look at those and see what I can do..just thinking out loud, looking at my log it doesn't appear that the PCM entered DFCO as the timing dropped, as my wide band doesn't shoot up past the 18.xx's.

And do I have to be worried about a spark limit with DFCO? I see it normal runs around 0-3* of timing when active. I don't want to have anything go wrong if the timing is set at a 7* minimum for example.

Potential Tuner
    No one else have any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    I think that the DCFC settings are off and causing the spark dips. Id put back to stock or disable for now.
    IMO BRAF should be:
    176F .773lb/min
    212F .750lb/min
    248F .750lb/min (guessing)
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback