Thread: Are misfires disabled with E40 SD tune?

Tuner in Training

Are misfires disabled with E40 SD tune?

I'm not sure what I have. E38, E40, other? How do I tell? My tuner flashed a 2002 *156 OS onto my 2000 Camaro SS.

Under code modifications I see:

Speed Density Enhanced
    Speed Density 2 bar
    Speed Density 3 bar
    1 Bar MAF

The bottom says" [ECM] 1 - Speed Density - Enhanced

Attached is a screen shot of my channels. Do I need to turn something on to detect misfires? Currently the tune is configured to not throw codes when a misfire occurs. What setting do I need to change to use VCM scanner to properly detect a misfire? Do I have to enable the proper DTCs to throw a code or does that have nothing to do with it? I start it up and it's not detecting any misfires which it should as I have an aftermarket cam. I read that if you have an E40 and a SD tune, you can't detect misfires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.

00 Camaro is neither an E38 or E40. It's a P01. Any cammed efi car will need the misfire monitors at least relaxed in order to not always have a CEL. What you'd have to do to re enable yours will depend on what method your tuner used to disable them. Best bet is post a tune so we can see what you're working with. On to more important things-why do you want to turn misfire back on? Rolling around with misfire codes stored can cause other issues in some situations....

Tuner in Training
    I was going to use HP tuners to see if the car had a misfire but apparently checking to have a misfire if you have a cam requires changing the laxed misfire monitors. I decided to check it the old fashioned way by using a laser temp sensor and checking the temp of each primary on the long tubes. I wouldn't roll around with the codes stored, I'd delete the codes after checking to see if there was a miss.

That's the point-if you don't relax the monitors the codes will just keep returning. Depending what it's in having a misfire code can lock out cruise control, Traction control, torque convertor lockup and also cause the more obvious flashing CEL. Re enabling them with a cam *will* show misfire, whether you actually have a misfire or not.

Tuner in Training
    So for those who have an aftermarket cam, what do you look at in HP tuners (what is logged) while keeping the monitors relaxed to see if you have an actual misfire? Is it possible to detect due to manipulation of the monitors? When the car shifts to OD, it shudders. Tap the break to release the lock up while maintaining the speed and shudder goes away. Comes back as soon as the converter locks. Is this a bad clutch in the converter or is it a misfire that is always there but can only be felt when the converter is locked?
    Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-12-2018 at 10:16 PM.

P01 needs functional MAF for misfire detection - SD disables misfire detection if memory serves correctly.