Thread: Gen III Engine, Gen IV ECM, '08 Tahoe

Potential Tuner

Gen III Engine, Gen IV ECM, '08 Tahoe

Good afternoon everyone,

I want to first say that these forums have to be one of the most informative and supportive platforms I've seen on the interwebs. So Thank You for all of that.

Now I have only just began tuning about a month ago, and like most in this phase, I only know enough to be dangerous.

My project started as stock '08 Tahoe w/ flex fuel that blew up the 5.3L that was in it (valve spring in #2 cylinder finally had enough). In my quest for glory, I decided to just go ahead and throw a 6.0L (LQ9) and a BW S366 66/72 .88A/R turbskee in it instead of the stocker.

The Deeets:
    Rebuilt stock motor- Ball honed cylinders, rings gapped for boost application, all new bearing, seals, and
    gaskets, pistons, rods, cam, heads and all valve train components are original to motor.
    SWAPPED CRANK TO 58X FOR 6.0L- NEW FROM JEGS
    INSTALLED 4X CAM GEAR,
    Relocated the knock sensors,
    LQ9 intake, LQ9 DECAPPED STOCK INJECTORS (flowed by the oh so kind Eric Durr)
    Gen IV Throttle body adapted to Gen III intake
    Turbo kit made by yours truly with the stock exhaust pieces (I can post pics later)
    Wastegate is 60mm XSPower w/ 5-6LB spring running SPRING PRESSURE ONLY
    BOV is 50mm
    Intercooler sized according to HP/ CFM flow requirements
    WG and BOV are intake referenced and are working fine

All engine components are Gen III as per the engine, and all electronic components (minus the injectors) are Gen IV. I believe this is considered a Hybrid Conversion. I have removed the MAF, pulled the IAT wires and remote located that into the intake, removed all the O2 sensors and installed an AEM 0300 WBO2 into the downpipe for tuning purposes. I still need to get the WB reflashed as it doesnt read in the VCMScanner yet, but if still operates just fine. I make AFR notes at varying RPMs, both Idle and off Idle and adjust things from there.

I have pulled the stock '08 tune file and essentially transposed all of the ENGINE data tables from an '07 VortexMax SilveradoSS that is running with an E38 ECM. My thought process was that with the intent to keep the full functionality of the stock vehicle, I would use a "stock" 6.0L tune (VortexMax) for the engine, not run more boost than needed so not to ruin the stock 4L60E transmission I have, and build a sleeper for a Daily Driver.

CURRENT TUNE:
    2BAR SPEED DENSITY, MANIFOLD VACUUM, SD AIR MODE, TCS PATCHES ENABLED
    STOCK '08 E38 ECM WITH DATA FROM STOCK '07 VMAX
    INJECTOR DATA WAS PUT INTO A SPREASHEET (EC TUNE FLOW CHART SPREADSHEET TO PROVIDE SOME FLOW RATE DATA)
    ALL VE TABLES(IMRC OPEN/CLOSED/DOD), ARE COPIED AND PASTED AND THE SAME
    HO SPARK IS IN LO SPARK AND THE DOD SPARK TABLE
    MAF CODES SET TO FAIL FIRST WITH NO SES-
    I DO GET ONLY A PENDING/CURRENT P102 CODE-MAYBE MAF IS NOT FAILED COMPLETELY
    DoD DISABLED
    I PULLED ALL ENGINE DATA TABLE FROM STOCK '07 VMAX TO GET THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE IN ITS "NATURALLY ASPIRATED" STATE (PRE-BOOST). IT IS FAR FROM PERFECT BUT IT DOES RUN.

I have quite a few other tunes that I have made that are a combination of tunes from the SLOPPY MECHANICS shared files (specifically his wives '07 silverado tune, his 6.0L colorado tune, the '07 VMax tune, and the stock '08 Tahoe tune). I chose those 2 files because of the very similar injector setups. And the Daily Driver aspect of his wives Silverado.

Some of the tunes have better IDLE AFRs than the current tune, but I have been so all over the place that I wanted to get back to square one. I know I need to adjust my idle VE and spark to drop the AFR down, but I am more curious about my primary spark tables

I am getting some sputtering under very low throttle and cruising at idle (basically coasting in gear but off the brake and throtte). When I ease into it, it seems to clear up and run smoother but under heavier accleration it has moments of sputter and than I just usually back out of it. I also think the TCS is causing some spark issues, which could be adding to the mystery. I seen a few misfires and I am not sure if it INJECTOR based or IGNITION based.

My transmission, I think, has decided in the first few attempts at cruising, to just go ahead and not shift into 4th. And also make it so I have to let off in order to get it into 3rd. I think those are either converter issues or a 3-4 servo/clutches/solenoids issue.

I made a scanner layout that was for Transmission monitoring, and will attach a file when I figure out how.

My current thoughts are INJECTOR FLOW RATE TABLE MODIFIER, INJ PW ADJUSTMENT, SPARK ADJUSTMENT, MAF DISABLE INCOMPLETE CAUSING ISSUE, AND TCS DISABLE COMPETE, AND INJECTOR OFFSET BY MAP/VACUUM

I will post the tunes and logs with the appriate title if someone would like to check them out. I would really love to hear from you all, as 3:00 AM bedtimes are becoming a bit too much.

I AM VERY MUCH SO LOOKING TO BECOME VERY PROFICIENT IN TUNING AND HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING IN THE RESEARCH TIME. I AM, AS YOU CAN EXPECT, NOT GETTING ANYTHING ELSE DONE BECAUSE I WANT THIS BABY TO RUN

I WANT TO AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND ASSISTANCE.

THANK YOU

I FIGURED OUT THE ATTACHMENT ISSUES- OPERATOR ERROR
    NEWBASE2.0- '07VMAX STOCK ENGINE TUNE TRANSPOSED INTO '08 E38 ECM
    NEWBASE2.0 LOG- SHORT DRIVE WITH TUNE
    STARTUPV3- TUNE THAT IS COMPILATION OF STOCK '07,'08 TUNES, AND SLOPPY TUNES AS MENTIONED ABOUT
    TRANSMONITORING LOG- STOCK '08 TRANS TUNE WITH SCANNER MONITORING TRANS INPUTS AND OUTPUTS

Tia-NewBase2.0ShortTrip.hplTia-TransMonitorRun.hplTia- 2BAR MOD- StartupV3.hptTia-NewBase2.0.hpt
    Last edited by G.I. Turbo; 10-08-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Adding tunes and logs

Potential Tuner
    I'd like to get the tunes and logs up there before the barrage of questions, but I am just unsure of how to add them. If the first response could help we'd appreciate it.

Potential Tuner
    I figured out the attachment issue. Tunes and logs are in the OP

Advanced Tuner
    Ask over in the GenIV section, thats what you have now. I say that out of consideration for other readers so they arent confused with parameters that do not exist in a GenIII pcm

Potential Tuner
    Hello im new to the forum and swapping a 2006 LQ4 into a LC9 truck. i have swapped the reluctor wheel from the LC9 motor and put it on the LQ4 and it all runs but having issues with the cam codes i have read that i need a 4x cam gear and use the LC9 cam senor and cover and use the LC9 plug and keep the wiring the same? fany help would be great.