Thread: ECM/ECU and Wiring Harness

Potential Tuner

ECM/ECU and Wiring Harness

Hello!

I am slightly confused about how a specific OS affects an ECU.

More specifically, I have an 08 Colorado with a 2.9 I4, 4L60e 4x4 and an E67 ECM. Recently a good friend of mine sold me a 4.8 Vortec out of an 08 Silverado with the intent of doing an engine swap.

Obviously im missing some wires for some injectors and spark plugs, so Ill need a new harness.

From what I understand, the E67 can be flashed with a number of OS (Trailblazer SS, CTS-V, etc). If I am going to have a harness made, will the configuation of the pins depend on the OS I intend to flash on to the ECM?

I know this is probably a basic question but its a question Im losing sleep over (its 2:27 AM).

I do intend to use HPTuners myself as I have a decent knowledge already of how to tune and will (probably) do a turbo setup later on down the road. I'm just not sure about the wiring dependancies.

I know this is a tuning forum but hey, some of you might know since Google is failing me constantly...

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Quite a lot of Canyon / Colorado LSx conversion information on the internet.

I believe Current Performance Wiring offers a complete “plug and play” wiring harness for this conversion.

The E67 will need to be initially flashed with GM software, before you could then use tuning software to make refinements.

GM began offering the 5.3L in the Canyon / Colorado in 2009 - so they have done some of the engineering for you. You could purchase the correct oil pan, exhaust manifolds, and compact Y-pipe from GM.

Potential Tuner
    Jon, thanks for your reply. I did know that current performance sells a wiring harness for what I'd like to do, as well as motor mounts, oil pan and other items.

The info you provided is great, but off the topic of the question I had. Does the ECM pinout change depending on the OS, or are all the variations of the E67 hardwired differently for different applications?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pipvanwinkle View Post
    ... Does the ECM pinout change depending on the OS, or are all the variations of the E67 hardwired differently for different applications? ...
    Yes.

Typical OS related E67 ECM pin usage (changes) include Starter Type (12 volt vs Ground), Clutch Type (None, Switch, Sensor), Cruise Control (switch inputs and brake inputs), and sensors / controls related to an OEM Supercharger.

The wiring harnesses will also vary according.

Many of the above idiosyncrasies don’t really matter with an LSx conversion into an older (classic) vehicle, but these fine details will definitely matter in your specific conversion.
    Last edited by Jon S.; 10-08-2018 at 02:37 PM.

I know this is a very old thread... but I'm trying to get the clutch switch to work on an e67 from an enclave v6. I have tried feeding it 12 volts, 5 volts, earth 1.5 volts to the clutch position sensor pin and get no change of clutch position status which I think is stopping my dfco from working.

Has anyone found an os that has clutch switch type setting visible? I want to know if it actually exists

Does it still have the Enclave OS in it? If it does (or any auto trans OS, even if V8), it's never going to look for a signal on the pins a manual trans OS uses for clutch switch.

Yes it does unfortunately. I was afraid that might be the case.
    How are people getting their dfco working with manual swaps? It seems to default to clutch in the depressed position

Needs a manual trans OS, and then wired according to the platform that used that OS. The OS determines the ECM pin assignments.

So it turns out that clutch sensor fitted switch does exist and hptuners added it for me. So now I can get the clutch status to change but unfortunately still no dfco. Seems like even though it's reading vehicle speed the ecm seems to be ignoring it. I have tried setting my min idle speed by vss up high and I get no change when moving. Very strange