Thread: Testing Chinese 102mm DBW TB, could use a sanity check.

Tuner in Training

Testing Chinese 102mm DBW TB, could use a sanity check.

So I like to tinker with things and thought I'd see if the $160 Chinese anodized 102mm DBW TB would actually work. Am in communication with the seller over in China and their shop manufactures a bunch of different DBW TBs for many applications. They said the TB would work on LS3/LS7/LS2/LSX applications, so I bought one. Initial impressions were good. The TB seems to be machined very well and the blade does not bind.

So, In an attempt to ops check the TB, I did a full PCM write with the P1516 code at 99% for both pos/neg. My P2101 min ECT 489/Max ECT 491. The car is a 2014 CTS-V.

With the TB connected and siting on the engine, I turned the key forward and the TB opened and closed (like it does with the LS3 90mm). After that, the TB is not responsive to the gas pedal and I get P1516/2101 and REP.

Before I scratch this thing, I'm looking to see if I'm missing something. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks and have a great day!

Tuner in Training
    The opposing potentiometers may be reading a little out of range.
    Does the new TB have the same cover w/connector as the original?
    If so, swap covers.
    They should have the pots built into the covers.

Tuner in Training
    Another thought.
    You may want to recheck TB blade rotation.
    At key on, I don?t remember the blade opening then closing, I seem to remember the blad closing then releasing. Sort of a ?home position check?.
    If the blade is rotating in reverse, you may need to swap the motor leads.

Advanced Tuner
    One other none tuning related thing on these chinese tbs is to check the blade mounting screws. Make sure they are either staked or loctited and can't come out. Curious to see how this works out though!

Advanced Tuner
    The problem may be a mismatch of components. The throttle body, APP (pedal), and ECM calibration must be mutually compatible for correct throttle operation.

Gen 4 LSx throttle bodies may be divided into two broad categories - car style and truck style. Car style throttle bodies may be further subdivided into early (silver blade) and late (gold blade) categories.

Your aftermarket manufacturer indicated that the throttle body that you purchased was for LS3, LS7, LS2, LSx applications - clearly intended for use in an application requiring a “car” style throttle body. LS2 and early LS7 used the silver blade throttle body. LS3 and later LS7 used the gold blade throttle body. These are NOT electronically similar. You may have to contact the supplier for further clarification on the specific intended use.

LSA and LS9 supercharged engines use the truck style throttle body. That means that your 2014 CTS-V 6.2L LSA application requires a truck style throttle body - not the car style throttle body that it appears that you have purchased.

Tuner in Training
    Worked with the seller, found the problem. They ran a batch of TBs with the motor pos and neg reversed. I swapped the pins on my connector and were back in business.

Side note the TB performs well and no flutter under boost on a 670whp application, 12psi. I just upped to boost to 14psi and will check. Thanks for the replies.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the update. Good to know.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Austin View Post
    Worked with the seller, found the problem. They ran a batch of TBs with the motor pos and neg reversed. I swapped the pins on my connector and were back in business.

Side note the TB performs well and no flutter under boost on a 670whp application, 12psi. I just upped to boost to 14psi and will check. Thanks for the replies.
    Hey bro Thanks a lot for your Answer i have the same Issues can you tellme which Pins you are swapped thanks a Lot man

Tuner in Training
    LS2 TB Connector 3b.JPG

I have the Same Problem on the 2006 LS7 can anybody Help me ?