Thread: Switching from GTO ls1 long block to l33

Switching from GTO ls1 long block to l33

Alright guys I?m clearly no ls expert. I have a 1994 jdm supra and i ls1/t56 swapped it. I?m now gonna be boosting ( twin 61/62?s ) I wanted something that lights up quick on the street. I?m now looking into switching out my ls1 long block for an l33 so i can run more boost than what an ls1 can hold. Now I?m not sure how this is going to work because I want to keep my cable throttle body. Or am i completely wrong and l33?s also came with gen3 ecu?s but the better Gen 4 style bottom end? Im wanting to use My intake, throttle body fuel rails and what not because it?s all upgraded to lsxr 102mm and I have FAST fuel rails and what not.

Advanced Tuner
    The L33 is basically a 5.3 version of the LS1. Everything from the LS1 will swap over and assuming you tune it properly, will be the same. They are a high compression 5.3 though as they use the 4.8 flat tops instead of the dished LM7 pistons.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    didnt the ls1 only go to 2004? the l33 should have the high count reluctor's for the p59 computer yeah?
    i was under the impression you had to switch the cam gear to a 1x conversion and use the crank signal converter to make the stock l33 work on an ls1 p01 computer.

that being said the typical ls1 ecu is a p01 and is drive by cable.
    engines are dimensionally the same so all bolt-on's would transfer over. heads would transfer over as well...both motors are less than 4" bore.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-31-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    L33 is most definitely a 24x crank 1x cam engine Gen3 engine. I have swapped at least 10 of them into Novas and my good friend owns two of them.

The GTO in 2004 was an LS1. If its in 05-06 LS2 it uses the Gen3 reluctors just like the 05 Corvette (06 Vette was the 58x 4x LS2 and not interchangable with the 05).
    Last edited by matty b; 08-31-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Tuner in Training

I was aware the bolt patterns for the heads and what not was all interchangeable until you get into heads with bigger valves and then cylinder bore becomes an issue on the smaller bore ls?s. What had me worried was the crank reluctor and the cam sprocket. Also I wasn?t sure if they switched to knock sensors in the side of the block. I?ve seen the difference between the l33 rods compared to an older Gen 3 piston and they were like the ?Gen 4? rods , is this true? Because the entire reason I?d be swapping is for the cylinder wall thickness and rod strength. thanks to everyone on this thread for the help, I appreciate it!

Sorry about the ? Marks seems like every time I try and use an apostraphe it made it a question mark.

Tuner in Training
    The link directly above your post gives all engine details including the fact that l33 engines came with the floating piston and rod upgrade. ( ie. Gen IV rods)

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    L33 is most definitely a 24x crank 1x cam engine Gen3 engine. I have swapped at least 10 of them into Novas and my good friend owns two of them.

The GTO in 2004 was an LS1. If its in 05-06 LS2 it uses the Gen3 reluctors just like the 05 Corvette (06 Vette was the 58x 4x LS2 and not interchangable with the 05).
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Tuned View Post
    sweet good stuff
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Those rods came out in 2004 engines with build dates of 2003. I don't know why they're called gen IV rods I have 4 sets that came out of Gen 3 5.3's and one 6.0.

I'm also running a 2007 5.3 with a 411 P01 PCM. I took the crank out and changed the reluctor wheel. It was a LMG which is basically the iron block version of the L33 or LH6