Thread: Scanner crashing when used on CobaltSS 2.4

Tuner

Scanner crashing when used on CobaltSS 2.4

I've scanned several different vehicles with the same laptop/software version combo, and whenever I try and datalog my friend's CobaltSS w/ 2.4 eco 5M, the scanner crashes and you have to restart. You can get about 45sec. of data, but if you let it go any longer, it will ALWAYS crash. I tried it again last night, same thing, then moved to an '04 cavalier auto, no issues just like normal. Has anyone else seen this happen? I"m using the newest version, the laptop isn't running any other programs and is more than capable, and this is the ONLY car that I see this with, I'm stumped.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have the specfic error that pops up?
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

What's the Laptop specs? My laptop is well above the min, but it won't run many, if any of the real time scanning features. When I had to use the laptop to record, I had to record with zero windows open. Even then it would crap out sometimes....
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL

Tuner
    Laptop is an AMD 1.2G w/ 512mb RAM, running XP, and the scanner is the only thing running during this testing. I can't remember the exact error I got, but I should also mention the tach would get out of spec in 3rd gear (as high as we logged), yet seemed fairly accurate in 1st and 2nd gears. I'll try and get the exact error next time I try it, but it will be a week or so before I have time and access to the car again.

Tuner
    So I take it nobody else has experienced this?

Watch your CPU usage, does it climb to 100% before it crashes?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    Watch your CPU usage, does it climb to 100% before it crashes?
    I will watch for that, thanks.

Tuner
    Well I tried playing back the logs of the cobalt on my desktop (850mhz, 512 RAM), and the CPU usage was 100%, tried a log from my own car and a few others, and it was around 40%, so it looks like that might be the issue. Do these cpu's provide too much bandwidth/sample rate compared to older ones, similar to the new vette's? Any way to limit the sample rate in the next release? Is there anything else I can watch for to help you guys?

you need to watch cpu when you are scanning, not when you are playing back the log.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    OK, I'll let you know once I've had a chance to try it again, but that will be a few days.

Tuner
    Is this possibly the same issue:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7182