Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/F Ratio Opinion Anyone?

A/F Ratio Opinion Anyone?

So, I've finally got my WB installed and scanned a quick drive. It appears to me that it's a bit lean under 3k and a bit fat at WOT. Just for reference, it's a 2005 GTO A4 with Catless LT's, FAST 90, CAI and 3.91 gearing. Just looking for someone with more than 2 hours logtime behind the mouse with HPT for a sanity check. Thanks in advance,

Mark

Tuner in Training
    looks like a stock tune, Youve got alot of work timing tables, ve, maf, pe etc...
    start tweaking

You need to log Maf Freq.and commanded AFR high res. This is so that the Maf error % and the Maf Wide Band O2 histograms will work.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    You need to log Maf Freq.and commanded AFR high res. This is so that the Maf error % and the Maf Wide Band O2 histograms will work.

Russ Kemp
    So, I've added MAF Freq to the primary table and only see Commanded AFR in lo res available. I am using an AEM WB sensor. Also, my understanding is you need to keep the primary table at 24 bits or lower to log in hi res (I read that somewhere here) so, I'm at 28 after I added Maf freq and commanded AFR. What can I delete from the table to get it a bit smaller? I'm guessing the O2 logging can be deleted since I'm using a WB right?

TIA,

Mark
    Last edited by barkingspud; 08-08-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Try clearing the last vehicle to see all the availible PIDS. Yes you could delete the O2 sensors and the maf g/sec.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Try clearing the last vehicle to see all the availible PIDS. Yes you could delete the O2 sensors and the maf g/sec.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks Russ. Not sure what you mean "clear the last vehicle". The only PID I see is Commanded AFR Lo Res (afr). I'm clueless (obviously) here.....

EDIT: I did a bit of searching and found something from soundengineer in regards to clearing the last vehicle. I haven't tuned (or scanned) any other car but my own so, I'm not sure what's going on or should I clear my car anyway and then look for the PID's?

EDIT Again.....OK. Cleared my car and see the Hi Res PID so, I added it to the primary table. I had to delete Engine Coolant Temp because when I try adding the Hi Res PID I got an error "Unable to add PID, this vehicle only supports 24 bytes". This shouldn't be a problem right??
    Last edited by barkingspud; 08-08-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Hmmm. Your GTO supports much more than 24 bytes. At least 56 IIRC.
    When you cleared your vehicle the scanner program resets the vehicle to unknown and many vehicles out there only support 24 bytes, that's why it limited you to 24 bytes.

If you clear the last vehicle,close the scanner and re-open it, and then compare the table PIDs to one of your scans table PIDs, you may find places where a table value disappears with the scan but is there when you clear the last vehicle. If you scan and dump the data, you may see table values reporting *(unsupported PID)* If so dump them & find an additional value to replace it with if you desire.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Hmmm. Your GTO supports much more than 24 bytes. At least 56 IIRC.
    When you cleared your vehicle the scanner program resets the vehicle to unknown and many vehicles out there only support 24 bytes, that's why it limited you to 24 bytes.

If you clear the last vehicle,close the scanner and re-open it, and then compare the table PIDs to one of your scans table PIDs, you may find places where a table value disappears with the scan but is there when you clear the last vehicle. If you scan and dump the data, you may see table values reporting *(unsupported PID)* If so dump them & find an additional value to replace it with if you desire.

EC
    Got it! Thank you! Now if I could figure out how to get the IAT sensor isolated from the MAF, I could get tuning in OLSD.....

OK. I reconnected to the car and it seems that it doesn't support Commanded AFR in hi res or do I have a problem with HPT???

TIA,

Mark

No problem with HPT. That PID doesn't exist in an LS2. Eq Ratio does though.
    >1 is leaner and <1 is richer. Just take th eEQ ratio x Stoch (14.68) to get the final AFR.

EC

No problem with HPT. That PID doesn't exist in an LS2. Eq Ratio does though.
    >1 is leaner and <1 is richer. Just take th eEQ ratio x Stoch (14.68) to get the final AFR.

EC
    Thanks EC. Now, what EQ ratio are you referring to? I understand the relationship between the PE EQ vs RPM where you divide Stoich by the EQ number. Is this what you are referring to? Keep in mind I'm not in SD here since my IAT is part of the MAF. My brain hurts.....

You can be in SD by setting the MAF Fail Frequency to 0. Works on LS2's as well...

The reported EQ ratio is the Commanded afr / Stoch AFR.
    PE EQ ratio is Stoch AFR / Commanded AFR
    It's a 1/x problem...
    Working on a histogram solution...

EC

You can be in SD by setting the MAF Fail Frequency to 0. Works on LS2's as well...

The reported EQ ratio is the Commanded afr / Stoch AFR.
    PE EQ ratio is Stoch AFR / Commanded AFR
    It's a 1/x problem...
    Working on a histogram solution...

EC
    Thanks much EC! Got my first couple of logs in SD over the weekend. One thing I will say is the AFR seems much more stable in OLSD at least according to my WB.....

When you go closed loop do you have lean areas right after you let off after accelerating? have tried six ways from Sunday to disable DFCO & haven't found a solution yet. There's trouble in paradise...

When you go closed loop do you have lean areas right after you let off after accelerating? have tried six ways from Sunday to disable DFCO & haven't found a solution yet. There's trouble in paradise...
    Yes....Although it doesn't get as lean as when the MAF is enabled. I'll have a look and see what differences I can see and post more info. I'm just getting started with my VE table and have the first version ready to log when I get a chance.

If you want to disble DFCO, couldn't you just put the enable temp up high like this?

I leave DFCO off on my LS2 and I had to add fuel to the lower MAP values in the VE table or I was still going lean also.

I do still get a little lean between shifts which made it a bit difficult but I figured that was normal due to the wideband reading so quickly when fuel wasn't being added. Am I wrong to think that? Or were you referring to the low MAP cells?

Usually when you close the throttle quickly you get a short richness before it goes lean. Normal as the MAP decreases rapidly but there is still fuel in the manifold that needs to go somewhere.
    No matter what I set all the DFCO settings to (and I tried them all) I still have the Fuel Trim Enable bit going off during deceleration, even light deceleration which makes me think DFCO is still enabled. Plus the AFR goes quite lean as it should when DFCO enables.

EC

OK, and for another totally newb Q. How does the Open Loop EQ Ratio table relate to the AFR? More importantly, exactly how is the AFR "set" when in open loop? Just when I think I'm beginning to understand this stuff.......

Stoch AFR (usually 14.6x) divided by EQ ratio.