Thread: How to keep engine in Closed Loop?

How to keep engine in Closed Loop?

I have a DI 2.0 (LHU) with an E39A ECM and would like to adjust when the engine goes into Open Loop mode but I can't find a table or switch to do that. Anybody have an idea?
    Last edited by marksawatsky; 08-04-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post a file for reference.

Tuner
    Maybe I don?t understand the question... but ... basically the system tries to stay in closed loop all the time with 2 exceptions:
    1) the sensor is not accurate, like being too cold at a cold start.
    2) system can?t run stoich because it either needs to enrich to protect parts or cuts fuel like save fuel like DFCO.

I have been looking at other Ecotec (LNF) tunes and the tables I have for my LHU don't exist. Codename Bill Doe has been helping me figure this thing out and has told me that I should try to keep my engine in closed loop if possible. I can see in the log that when I mash the pedal, it goes into open loop mode. Check out all the tables on an LHU, it's crazy Stock Verano 6speed.hpt

Here's a log if you would like to see, make sure you have Fuel System #1 Status as a channeltune 21 road test.hpl

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    yeah there is no preventing open loop on throttle stab. those are pe enable functions. disabling those is a very bad idea.

as far as forcing closed loop to retain on in pe thats a negative ghost rider. this ecu is not setup to do that since it uses the shit o2 sensors (notice rich lean thresholds are mv not volts? thats because they are 0-1v range).

best way to tune these is to disable maf mode and fail the sensor. disable fuel trims and force open loop.
    tune with wideband against the vve tool tables until within range.

enable full maf mode and tune the maf in. this will be faster than vve tool but the vve tool is required to get the correct coefficients for the tqm system.
    now just leave maf mode enabled and ramp up ignition to where the engine wants to be via dyno. poof your done.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

There seems to be some disagreement on how to tune the LHU and I'm not surprised, it's very new, very complicated and there are numerous ways of dealing with it.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    lots of people will tune with pe disable or set to a higher threshold which allows trims to refine a larger portion of the vve system or maf but its not recommended as it get out of the bounds of safety very quickly.

there are different ways to do it and i trust CBD but there has to be a miscommunication because he doesnt typically recommend tuning outside of safe settings. as explained the only way to force closed loop is to remove enrichment controls.
    the lhu is not new..its been 7 years now. ive tuned them for 4 of those and i dont share that information because one car to another is drastically different due to the ecu being heavily coefficient based. its also a lot harder to explain how the tables are tied together than any other ecu. lastly, its been 2 years so im likely to provide some incorrect information at some point when the information becomes really advanced and im not comfortable with doing that; i recognize my limitation points to prevent arguments and word exchanges. I could understand the lhu feeling new because those that have figured the ecu out refuse to share their findings which is why everyone in here struggles so hard on it.

i learned more about it from the v8 section than here in the 4 cyl. if i could recommend one thing it would be to spend lots of time in the newer generation v8 sections. they have more information posted there that hasn't been transferred to 4cyl land.

i wish i could offer more help and/or deeper definition but i dont have the time to explain everything i have learned on this ecu. i quite tuning it 2 years ago and have never been happier to drop an ecu from my work queue.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

^ 100% All of this. Miscommunication as I would never recommend disabling enrichment. My shorthand in our offline discussions to teach an extremely complicated ecu in a very short timespan may have come across incorrectly.

Tough to fully explain the interdependence of non-static values, the interdependence of multiple tables, and the ability to make ecu functions go exponential rapidly.

As I've said elsewhere, I feel sorry for anyone who blindly copy/pastes or shares tunes from any ecu of mine. It's like sitting someone in the space shuttle for a quick flight around the moon with remote help.