Thread: 2000 S10 with 4.8L Swap keep failing NYS Inspection

2000 S10 with 4.8L Swap keep failing NYS Inspection

Hey everyone,

I have a 2000 S10 that originally came with a 4cyl 2.2L engine. I have since swapped in a 2000 4.8L out of a GMC Sierra 1500. I have changed the VIN to match the original S10 but it keeps failing inspection.

I have seen multiple errors come up and a lot of the time it disconnects after connecting and downloading OBD data.
    A few times it has came up and said the information it received is not expected for this vehicle.

The disconnect issue I thought might be some sort of signal/ground issue so instead of using the existing wiring for the obd2 connect that goes through the dash harness and then connectes into the engine harness through a bulk head connector I ran the obd2 connector ground directly to the cylinder head where the ECU grounds, the serial data connection directly to the ECU and not through the bulkhead and then the power directly from the same battery power wires that the computer uses. (I have not had a chance to take it back to the inspection shop since this change)

I want to see what other issues I may be having. Since sometimes it does complete but says the information is not expected for this vehicle I wonder if it is pulling the list of monitors or cylinders.

I compared the list of monitors for a 2000 S10 with the monitor on my ECU and they are different.

The original S10 ECU for the 2.2L has these monitors:
    Catalyst
    Evap System
    Oxygen Sensor
    Oxygen Sensor Heater

Whereas the 2000 GMC Sierra 896 ECU has these:
    Catalyst
    Evap System
    Oxygen Sensor
    Oxygen Sensor Heater
    EGR System

Does anyone know if maybe because this ecu also includes the EGR system that the inspection system is pulling this list and something is getting flagged?

I checked a 411 ECU I have from a 2002 Silverado and it matches the original S10 ECU.
    Catalyst
    Evap System
    Oxygen Sensor
    Oxygen Sensor Heater

Any ideas what I could be missing?

There are no DTCs coming up and all the readiness monitors are completed.

I have included the tune as well.

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    damnit shane your getting me worried..... The only think not worrying me is the fact I went from one fbody PCM to another OBD2 fbody PCM.

I'm curious what you guys end up finding. I've always wanted to do a v8 S10 build, but passing 96 up emissions was always a concern.

Potential Tuner
    I've been struggling to find a way around emissions inspection in NC for engine swaps. i would love to do a ls swap in my 02 s10 but am afraid to dump a bunch of money into a swap and not be able to pass inspection

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder_lloyd View Post
    I've been struggling to find a way around emissions inspection in NC for engine swaps. i would love to do a ls swap in my 02 s10 but am afraid to dump a bunch of money into a swap and not be able to pass inspection
    If you want to retain your stock emissions controls on the S-10 and other BCM functions, you will need to do an engine segment swap ( from a tuner other than HP ) on your stock S-10 computer before you have licensed it with HP Tuners to avoid OP system compatibility problems with HP Tuners software and to retain your VIN. Then you can HP license the S-10 and tune it with no VIN or emissions problems with the new operating system configuration

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder_lloyd View Post
    you need to talk with your emissions referee about your project. typical emissions require owners to do a same/same oem swap (replacement) or they must install a engine newer than the year of the application and retain all of that engines emissions equipment.
    i have installed older engines but in those applications to be legal i made a deal with my referee to be able to use an older than original engine with emissions equipment equivalent to the year of the original vehicle.

Thats not to say this will be true for everyone and why you need to speak with your emissions representative. typically these guys are attached to a local DMV.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman