Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much timing can be added with E85?

Totally depends on the setup. I went to E85 on my Z06. I added 5deg of timing up top timing, but on the dyno I can go up and down like 5 degrees from there across the board and power doesn't even change any noticeable amounts so it almost doesn't even matter on my car.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rio95 View Post
    Totally depends on the setup. I went to E85 on my Z06. I added 5deg of timing up top timing, but on the dyno I can go up and down like 5 degrees from there across the board and power doesn't even change any noticeable amounts so it almost doesn't even matter on my car.
    On a stock compression engine w/ E85 I can't see E85 picking up much.

Can you run more timing? Yes. But that doesn't mean you are going to make more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    On a stock compression engine w/ E85 I can't see E85 picking up much.

Can you run more timing? Yes. But that doesn't mean you are going to make more power.
    Very true but E has other benefits.

My c6Z is at 12.5:1

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by colo_evo View Post
    Really? Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsx520 View Post
    Removing timing = less power. Thats what ive been told plenty of times. Like on nitrous applications, on a nitrous tune if your not on the bottle your way low on hp because you removed timing. Someone correct me if im wrong
    i've actually done this numerous times on a sbe ls3 with a btr stg 4 cam.
    the pump gas tune was at 496 to the tire.
    e85 tune was at 502, but with less timing. It didn't need it. it gained more power dropping 3 degrees out of it in certain spots versus jacking the timing to the moon just because it wouldn't knock. The car did pick up 30ft lbs down low where it needed it however.

What you need to realize is, just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's warranted. Adverse affects do happen when you over advance an engine. Without a dyno, you're guessing on it.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    with a boosted car generally 3-6 degrees is how much you can add over pump gas at the same boost.

N/A gen 4 at 10.6:1 comp make little more power with E85 and adding timing really doesn't do much. if you add timing and it doesn't pick up power and torque then you should take it back out. the added cylinder pressure offers no gain.