Thread: tuning for boost

Tuner in Training

tuning for boost

how hard is it to tune for a twin turbo setup? i have a 2000 silverado 2500 with a stock iron head lq4 6.0 and 4l80e and im putting a twin turbo setup on (dont know turbo mm size). i have a wideband band dual sensor but cant hook it to hptuner (have standard interface). the kit can be installed with the maf sensor. im planning on getting new injectors (havent decided on ls3 injectors or 80 lbs). im getting my ducks in a row and plan before i park the truck. advice appericiated in advance

Advanced Tuner
    tuning for boost is no different to N/A tuning in principle. you need to calibrate timing and fuel (to be crude).

difference being that you now have to calibrate it for not only atmospheric pressure but positive pressure. you're volume of intake air is significantly larger requiring more fuel. obviously boost wont take as much spark.

its not at all hard. saying that its very easy to get it wrong.

you'll have no issues provided you have a capable fuel system, good boost control and you start with conservative values. its important you watch data like a hawk to ensure no issues. things like MAP, IAT, KR WB AFR etc etc. under boost getting it wrong results in engine damage very quickly.

also provided your calibration is set up correctly for your combination.

LS3 injectors wont keep up with boost.

Tuner in Training
    ok thank you the turbos are preset at 8psi. ill update when i get the rest of the parts and put them on im just worried about doing damage while trying the tune it in

Advanced Tuner
    if its your first tune I would advise against it unless you have some experienced help/supervision.

you should have some N/A and cam calibration experience before jumping to boost.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    biggest mistake i see is people throwing the kit on and not tuning the vehicle with the wastegates disabled (spring out). I tune with my wastegates removed and the port left open, then with the gates on and no spring to check for restriction drift, and then the smallest pressure spring and work my way up using controllers and heavier springs.

you shouldn't jump straight to target boost, you need to do your best to creep up on the boost and tune as you go to get the safest tune experience.

you need to take your wideband and install it using the egr method. you can not accurate tune boost fuel without the wideband reading in hptuners.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    thank you luke and cobalt for the advice

Buy quality injectors too. Don't even consider cheap deka injectors or anything ebay.

You are better off deleting the MAF sensor too. Speed density tuning with the 2 bar OS is so much easier with the MAF is out of the question. Just wire in a separate IAT sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.