Thread: 5 speed is in the 2011 sierra 2500 6.0L, now tuning?

Tuner in Training

5 speed is in the 2011 sierra 2500 6.0L, now tuning?

hey guys.

A friend of mine just put a nv4500 5 speed manual in his 2011 sierra 2500 series truck with the 6.0 LS engine. he is looking to get it started and running now. just wondering whats required to get this thing started? i have hp tuners i used about 2 years ago when i ls swapped my 87 C10 and then swapped a manual tranny in that one. all i did there was delete VATS, go into the transmission section and select "MANUAL" and then delete all the transmission related codes so i wouldnt have a check engine light. does this stuff apply to the 2011 computer too? anything else we might need to tinker with?

Thanks , Cory

Tuner in Training
    There is a lot of torque management stuff that will get in the way. I have a 2012 5.3 in my 84 K20 with an NV4500 also.
    The short story is, remove all the torque mgmt stuff, some of the tables are 0s and there is a table that sets max timing, youll do a whole lot of chasing your a$$ if you dont set the max timing and wonder where it is when you stomp on it and you get 1/2 what you put in the timing table. That is called Minimum Spark Torque management. It will be under the spark advance tab. You would set that value to whatever you have as a max timing number at WOT around your max rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FortifySteve View Post
    There is a lot of torque management stuff that will get in the way. I have a 2012 5.3 in my 84 K20 with an NV4500 also.
    The short story is, remove all the torque mgmt stuff, some of the tables are 0s and there is a table that sets max timing, youll do a whole lot of chasing your a$$ if you dont set the max timing and wonder where it is when you stomp on it and you get 1/2 what you put in the timing table. That is called Minimum Spark Torque management. It will be under the spark advance tab. You would set that value to whatever you have as a max timing number at WOT around your max rpm.

ohhh right i forgot all about torque management. i had some of that removed from my ls swap tune now that i think of it. i guess setting it to manual through the trans tab don't do a whole lot on its own then hey? were hoping to get it running half decent. im not claiming to be a tuner or charging him for anything other than the credits, he just had no where else to go to get it running, its his daily and he needs to get back and forth to work this week. maby he can get a custom tune done from blackbear or something when he gets time

Tuner in Training
    Anyone know what max timing should be for a 2011 sierra 2500 6.0L stock motor on 87 octane?

Maybe 20 or 15-18 at best.

87 sucks ass if you want to try and run any decent timing on a conservative air fuel ratio. I see some people run them rather rich to allow them to run higher timing but that doesn't seem like it's helping anything.

Run 89 at minimum in a 6.0 if you ask me, then you can run around 20-ish degrees of timing at full throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Maybe 20 or 15-18 at best.

87 sucks ass if you want to try and run any decent timing on a conservative air fuel ratio. I see some people run them rather rich to allow them to run higher timing but that doesn't seem like it's helping anything.

Run 89 at minimum in a 6.0 if you ask me, then you can run around 20-ish degrees of timing at full throttle.
    so heres the story..

my buddy lost the transmission in a 2011 sierra 2500HD 6.0L he just bought.. he spent a few bucks trying to rebuild the valve body and stuff himself but still nothing.. in a last attempt to save a few bucks and get his daily driver back in action he picked up a nv4500 transmission and transfercase out of a 1993 chev 3500 truck for next to nothing... plus standard is always cool

there is next to no one on this island that knows anything about tuning fuel injection.. i agreed to help tune it for free if he bought the credits. i dont know a whole lot about tuning but i used hp tuners on my ls swapped 87 chevy C10 with 2001 engine and converted that to a 5 speed afterwards. i read a bunch of stuff about tuning that for the 5 speed over the winter 2 years ago and it runs great! havent done any power adders or anything yet so i kinda forgot a lot of stuff i knew 2 years ago when i was playing with hp tuners...

but comparing what i did to the 2001 ecu and looking through all the settings and tables on the 2011 computer... everything is completly different.. i actually have no idea where to start with deleting torque management.. cant seem to find any info on the net. i set the trans type to manual and we got the truck running. but it seems to have ZERO power... he doesnt have a speedo set up yet so vcm scanner is showing 156mph at all times. i told him to start off by getting a speedo signal to the ecu, im sure that will help for starters... but for the torque management completely disabled? all the topics i can find are for automatic trannys so they dont seem to be deleting everything. he just wants to keep this a stock work truck thats why i was asking about 87 octane.. sorry for the long post hopefully someone has some input!

Tuner in Training
    Bump.. trucks running a bit better but it still won?t rev past 4000rpm... would ecu getting no vss input cause that?

Tuner in Training
    No you may have a limiter still set in the tune somewhere, post your tune and log, check in the cutoff tab there should be a cutoff rpm area and youll want to check the Park neutral setting. If the truck doesn't know its in a gear and its still set youll get that limit.

Tuner in Training
    Is the park/neutral switch hooked up and working correctly?
    If it thinks it?s in park/neutral, it limits the rpm.

Tuner in Training
    How about some pictures of the swap? What clutch pedal and what transfercase did he use? What driveshaft mods?

Tuner in Training
    just max out (ecm 12836) trans default torque limit and try it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 02 Sierra View Post
    just max out (ecm 12836) trans default torque limit and try it
    i modified quite a few tables in the e78 ecm including this one and the truck is running good now. only thing we are still working on is getting the speedo to work. the ecm was read without the auto tranny connected to truck so we are missing a few things under trans and trans diag that i think would help us get this speedo working. wondering if we wire in the valve body and read the ecm again if it will show us the tables we are missing?

he used the 1993 donor truck for the transfercase, transmission, driveshafts and clutch pedals as far as i know. he had to get the driveshafts modified.. rear had to be a 2 peice driveshaft due to the new length of it .but the 93 donor had a 2 peice already so i think he just had to shorten that one. everything looks as it should and clean in the truck.

is there much performance to be gained through the PE settings and stuff if he plans on running 87 octane? he says the truck runs as good or better than stock now.