Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Overtemp or Just Turbo Back Pressure?

Senior Tuner
    I've found increasing the coil dwell is necessary when high cylinder pressures are being run. Seems to help with inconsistent spark and blow-out.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Cant do that on the factory tune, so I assume you are recommending an aftermarket coil driver?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Cant do that on the factory tune, so I assume you are recommending an aftermarket coil driver?
    No, looks like they haven't mapped it for your OS yet. Look at some of the others and they will have a "Dwell" tab in the "Spark" section. Tables [ECM] 18942, 18943, and 18944 on a 2017 Challenger SRT8.

Edit: Looks like the same table numbers on the 2015 Challenger also.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 07-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Nice, I will email support to add.

Senior Tuner
    Dwell settings were added to my OS.

Whats the typical incremental amount to try? I don't have much info on the dodge coils and where they max out and just produce more heat. I assume 1ms added to the high rpm and/or high voltage output tables is a good start?

Advanced Tuner
    FYI - there was an old thread in the GM section that gives some insight.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-heavy-details

Stock HCs run about 416us from 2-6.5 krpm and they are running 12lb boost, probably would not deviate too much from that.
    Last edited by Homer; 07-11-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Dwell settings were added to my OS.

Whats the typical incremental amount to try? I don't have much info on the dodge coils and where they max out and just produce more heat. I assume 1ms added to the high rpm and/or high voltage output tables is a good start?
    The way I have usually approached it is if you look at the RPM Dwell curve, you'll notice how it flatlines between 2000-6400 rpm, but it runs high dwell at idle and low RPMs. So if 416 micro is sufficient at 6400 RPM, start to think about how your time window changes and I usually find benefits bumping the mid RPM ranges to get a nice curve down to the 6400 RPM dwell value. Really you only need enough to help, if it helps. They have already established the boundries and I have not had any coil issues tweaking this.

I especially find benefits with high amounts of nitrous that creates a lot of low RPM cylinder pressure.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    Read this article and reminded me of this post. For a minute there I thought this article was about your build.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/buil...oof-6-4l-hemi/