Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing retarding -10 deg no knock

Tuner in Training
    So should I put the 2012 values back in place where they were in the negatives at the higher airmass? I'm running 87 octane, the ign. wires are new and have heat sleeves to protect them from the headers. Are the numbers for the knock sensors safe at those value?

Advanced Tuner
    the wires would cause more of a misfire issue than knock imo - i was more so talking about the knock sensors

nah leave the ho and lo the same because if you put the timing back to what it was then the ecm is going to be pulling the timing again when it hits those cells like it was doing but has gotten better ... but that knocking needs to be fixed to solve the timing situation. a easy test would be to put a tank of 93 in and re log and see if the knock goes down - if it does then you need to run more octane for that timing map because its pre detonating or you'll have to lower it to stop it

yeah those knock sensor values are fine to use - there not crazy ive seen people put 400 and higher in the initial chart but they were vehicles with large cams/heads/mounts and shit

but double check the knock sensors to - also what plugs are you running?
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-27-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The plugs are ngk platinum

Tuner in Training
    The wiring is also new. Had a complete wiring harness made.

Advanced Tuner
    ok well i cant really think of anything else that would cause it the knock for no reason except for it actually being knock and you needing to remove timing from the timing map ... id double check the knock sensors and try adjusting the knock sensor sensitivity a little bit but other than that i dont know what else to say, hopefully its not a mechanical issue

but try a tank of 93 and see if the knock drops down
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-27-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok Ill try that and post another log tomorrow of what is happening

Hi I'm pretty new to the tuning world. I've got a 2017 Gmc Sierra 1500 with the l83 Bone stock and it is having nearly identical issues. It has a distinct tick that at first I chalked up to a slight exhaust leak but I've checked the exhaust and there does'nt seem to be any leak and the noise is getting more pronounced. It sounds sharp and metallic so I'm beginning to think something in the Valvetrain. Any ideas on what could be causing it? Also wandering if that valvetrain noise could be affecting my knock sensor and retarding the timing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Hi I'm pretty new to the tuning world. I've got a 2017 Gmc Sierra 1500 with the l83 Bone stock and it is having nearly identical issues. It has a distinct tick that at first I chalked up to a slight exhaust leak but I've checked the exhaust and there does'nt seem to be any leak and the noise is getting more pronounced. It sounds sharp and metallic so I'm beginning to think something in the Valvetrain. Any ideas on what could be causing it? Also wandering if that valvetrain noise could be affecting my knock sensor and retarding the timing?
    1: That's a Gen V, those are one door down from here. This one is for port injected Gen IVs.
    2. Put your phone down because you're going to have to post your tune file and a log file to get any real help.