Thread: Optimum Power Map Point

Potential Tuner

Optimum Power Map Point

Hi,

I'm new to tuning Fords. My question is if I do this (Pic for reference) will the ECU just exclusively use the OP map 100% of the time?36087460_1563672887070971_127509942566387712_n.jpg

I hope i correctly attached the file

thanks

It's possible, but you would have to log to find out for sure.

Using these VCT tables to "disable" or "force enable" certain modes does not always work as intended. For example, my base tune appeared to have "best drivability" disabled, by setting the minimum load table to all 5's. That didn't disable it though.

Why would you want to be in OP VCT all the time though?

Potential Tuner
    I just want to deal with one or 2 ignition tables if possible

That's just not a very practical approach in my eyes. I have mine trimmed down to MP0,1,2,3,4,9,OP. This still lets the cams move around which is one of the big benefits of the Coyote engine. Tuning spark across those tables isn't as bad as it might seem.

Just log the MP weighting of the MPs used. When you want to make a spark correction, look at the weighting and change the correct table(s).

Advanced Tuner
    I'm pretty sure it will still be beneficial to TUNE a single table, like OP.

I feel the same as CCS86, even if you enable OP in this manner, other modes will still potentially blend in under certain conditions. It's just the nature of HDFX

It would be easier to tune a single table. Not beneficial to the state of tune.

Better off setting MPOP to 1 and all the rest disabled to 0 in the Map point configuration and in snap to point if you just want to tune one table. The way it is now, if the cam moves through one of those map points even while being in optimum performance it will still get weight in other Map point tables.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not practical in my eyes. The main reason a 2010 and older mustang have one set of spark tables is because their cams advance and retard at the same degrees. There's no create more/less overlap on an older 3v. Your optimum power cam angles are not suitable for a daily driver. Your timing would be erratic, adding and pulling timing in the same cells. You would lose all efficiency too. I have my IVO and EVC 73 degrees apart in certain RPM.

I have narrowed my mapped points on my 1st gen using 0, 2, 4, 5, 8, OP, 0 1, 2, 3, 6 OP, 0, 1, 2, 5, 8 OP. It ran like normal but timing required a lot of adjustment, distance tables need changed. With your Intake and exhaust spread from 0 degrees to 50 or 60 degrees apart, there's a lot of timing involved with the cylinder pressures and valve timing adjustments. There's a lot of different ways to use the mapped points and adjusting timing really isn't that difficult once you understand why we have mapped point and why the timing looks strange through the tables and RPMs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    It would be easier to tune a single table. Not beneficial to the state of tune.
    Sorry I meant beneficial like making sure other modes aren't blending while tuning OP values. For instance, plug in some numbers, tune WOT.. do a pull.. get results. Change values , rinse repeat until best OP values can be had for WOT. Do this to lock out everything else while finding the best values.

NOT for a final tune as this would be bad in many ways. One could slim down the use of so many MPs though like Thatwhite5.0 suggested, to also make tuning easy for other modes of driving (getting best fuel economy or part throttle).

If you are tuning a WOT run, it should get to 100% OP and stay there, so there isn't much need to disable other MPs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    If you are tuning a WOT run, it should get to 100% OP and stay there, so there isn't much need to disable other MPs.
    My thoughts exactly.

I wonder if OP is wanting to use the pcm for race only setup? Seems easier like this, enter the A/F ratio you want to run & go.

I would disable all the mapped points except for OP in the Mapped Point Configuration (set all Mapped Points except OP to 0) too for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    I would disable all the mapped points except for OP in the Mapped Point Configuration (set all Mapped Points except OP to 0) too for good measure.
    Why?

Disabling MP's, disabling VCT, disabling this and that...rookie shortcuts

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Disabling MP's, disabling VCT, disabling this and that...rookie shortcuts
    Nooooo don't disable your VCT!

I just disabled all MP's except OP in preparation for tuning torque tables as rcmikey describes elsewhere and when logged I saw cam position sweep with load anyway. I'll try disabling the others in snap to point as well to tune the torque tables.
    As it is, it's always 100% weighted OP and I see fuel and timing at WOT values the whole time I'm WOT (I don't see this with the stock tune). The car feels better too, the only negative I've noticed is mileage is off a little but I'll trade that for the way the car runs and drives.

For now (I don't know enough), I like it OP only enabled so I get WOT fuel and spark (I think) but snap to point stock so cams still move with load.
    Last edited by GapRider; 06-03-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else