Thread: 2013 Silverado 5.3L with 6L80.. TCC slip speed..

Tuner

2013 Silverado 5.3L with 6L80.. TCC slip speed..

Just wondering if anyone would share their experience or their opinions on TCC slip speed..

I'm not really a tuner, just my own vehicles and some easy dod tunes, vats disabling for offroad vehicles for friends,etc.. I've been lurking a bit, mostly reading up as much as I can.. Now that you know where I'm sorta coming from... lol

I'm wondering about my own truck, the 2013 with the 6L80..

I'm very temped to zero out the TCC slip speed tables at higher speeds, like 45 and above and keeping it unlocked in 3rd, maybe 4th..

My theory is I don't mind the TCC slipping a little but I've been replacing converters for shuddering because they get burnt out(opinion) from slipping constantly.. I'm hoping to increase the life of my own trucks converter by doing this.. I really don't think I'll mind the TCC locking up, doubt I'll find it annoying or feel an extra vibration or drone but I haven't tried it yet..

Any opinions? Anyone going to yell at me for doing this for a reason that I don't realize?

Am I likely to make either the converter or another part fail by doing this?

downsides? any warnings? or other tips to suggest??

I'm kinda paranoid about changing tables without a lot of forethought and research but I just saw that GM released yet another PI for the new Colorado's shudder concern and changed it from flushing it 3 times to 1 time and now changed it again to just changing the converter and changing the fluid.. This got me thinking about mine..

Planning on keeping this truck a long time, want to make it last.. Thanks.... Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tek1229 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone would share their experience or their opinions on TCC slip speed..

I'm not really a tuner, just my own vehicles and some easy dod tunes, vats disabling for offroad vehicles for friends,etc.. I've been lurking a bit, mostly reading up as much as I can.. Now that you know where I'm sorta coming from... lol

I'm wondering about my own truck, the 2013 with the 6L80..

I'm very temped to zero out the TCC slip speed tables at higher speeds, like 45 and above and keeping it unlocked in 3rd, maybe 4th..

My theory is I don't mind the TCC slipping a little but I've been replacing converters for shuddering because they get burnt out(opinion) from slipping constantly.. I'm hoping to increase the life of my own trucks converter by doing this.. I really don't think I'll mind the TCC locking up, doubt I'll find it annoying or feel an extra vibration or drone but I haven't tried it yet..

Any opinions? Anyone going to yell at me for doing this for a reason that I don't realize?

Am I likely to make either the converter or another part fail by doing this?

downsides? any warnings? or other tips to suggest??

I'm kinda paranoid about changing tables without a lot of forethought and research but I just saw that GM released yet another PI for the new Colorado's shudder concern and changed it from flushing it 3 times to 1 time and now changed it again to just changing the converter and changing the fluid.. This got me thinking about mine..

Planning on keeping this truck a long time, want to make it last.. Thanks.... Tom
    I have mine 0'd out for the most part. You will need to do some tinkering to get the right torque/rpm so that it is still smooth during locking, unlocking, and high demand situations. If you don't do this, you can enter some weird lock/unlock loops. There haven't been any changes in operating temps on mine, but you should monitor this as well. There was no additional vibration in my truck even with poly motor mounts. I wouldn't totally disable the TCC in 3rd and 4th.

I disabled mine because my 55k mile 6L90 pan was full of clutch material. Ended up being the TCC. It was replaced with a reman converter with a kevlar clutch.

Going between the stock and modified tables, my truck actually feels more responsive. The stock tables love to keep the torque converter semi-locked all the time.

I disabled the TCC in gears 3 and 4, only have it lock up in 5th and 6th. No regrets doing that.

It's way better around town when it going through the gears. Even though it drops into 6th at like 40-45mph with light throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.