Thread: Need some advice on this one!

lean spikes after blower install...Help

So here's the deal, I have a 2014 Camaro SS it has a bone stock LS3 (stock cam and all) I did a fuel system upgrade ID1000 injectors, Fore dual with return, flex fuel sensor. i updated the injector data and all was good, the car ran and drove like stock. I then installed a Kenne Bell 2.8 blower with a 4 1/2" intake and thats when the issue started. The issue I can't seem to fix is while driving at a steady speed I get random lean blips I can feel and see on the WB. For the lie of me I can't find the problem. I checked and double checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing.
    I have attached a log and the tune,any input would be great!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by scv_guy; 05-18-2018 at 11:26 AM.

anyone??

I dont see any problems from the log you posted, everything looks normal. But still, steady state cruising the 02 sensors should swing, they should swing any time your not in PE mode. The Wideband data looks notchy like the update rate isnt very fast.

I do see two spots where it looks like your cruising and you change gears, one is a downshift and one up shift/ I cant tell from the log but is the engine bucking during that transition? If it does then many lean or rich transient? Wideband shows rich during that change but the data isnt updating very fast so hard to say. There's one at 4:17 then another at 4:26.

You could read up on how to disable the MAF sensor, run just SD mode see if that stops the problem, if it does then likely it has something to do with new MAF intake pipe maybe, but wondering if it's a rich transition back into power right as your engaging the next gear?

Also I should add, Im not sure how your fuel system is setup or how long you've been driving this new setup, but when I installed the Whipple, it uses the dead head non-return fuel system, so my fuel rails had a lot of air in them, and when I finally went WOT, there were hickups and lean spikes, they didn't last long and never came back so I think it was air trapped in the fuel rails that took a bit to clear out. Mine is fed from the middle pass side rail, but they have front and back crossovers to the dside rail, so allot of air with minimal fuel exchange going on.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 05-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

The lean spikes happen during a steady cruse, for example 4th gear 2k. I'm not noticing anything during the gear shift.
    I did disable the MAF and the problem went away, I was going to keep it that way until I realized PE uses the MAF. I didn't see at custom OS for SD on the E38.
    any insight on how I can do this would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
    The lean spikes happen during a steady cruse, for example 4th gear 2k. I'm not noticing anything during the gear shift.
    I did disable the MAF and the problem went away, I was going to keep it that way until I realized PE uses the MAF. I didn't see at custom OS for SD on the E38.
    any insight on how I can do this would be great!
    if you dont see 2 or 3bar upgrade then your SOL with that OS. The E38 in these years have many OS versions. You would basically have to download another one, but only register it if you know it has 2bar Upgrade avail. You could email support see if they offer it on your OS. But still, you should be able to work out the problem with the MAF if your sure that's all it is.

I have at least 2 OS that I know have the 2bar update OS but the only one I use I have a 4000rpm+ lean transition problem I just cant tune out so I think it's an OS problem, Im in the same boat I would have to get a newer one, from dealer, then hope it has 2bar OS avail.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Is it possible to run SD from idle to 4k then MAF for PE only? I tried setting low maf fail to 3500hz but it would not go into PE.

Anyone??

where is the wide band sensor located for the afr reading? as mentioned o2mv is not picking up a lean spike ,might be air coming back

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I dont see any problems from the log you posted, everything looks normal. But still, steady state cruising the 02 sensors should swing, they should swing any time your not in PE mode. The Wideband data looks notchy like the update rate isnt very fast.

I do see two spots where it looks like your cruising and you change gears, one is a downshift and one up shift/ I cant tell from the log but is the engine bucking during that transition? If it does then many lean or rich transient? Wideband shows rich during that change but the data isnt updating very fast so hard to say. There's one at 4:17 then another at 4:26.

You could read up on how to disable the MAF sensor, run just SD mode see if that stops the problem, if it does then likely it has something to do with new MAF intake pipe maybe, but wondering if it's a rich transition back into power right as your engaging the next gear?

Also I should add, Im not sure how your fuel system is setup or how long you've been driving this new setup, but when I installed the Whipple, it uses the dead head non-return fuel system, so my fuel rails had a lot of air in them, and when I finally went WOT, there were hickups and lean spikes, they didn't last long and never came back so I think it was air trapped in the fuel rails that took a bit to clear out. Mine is fed from the middle pass side rail, but they have front and back crossovers to the dside rail, so allot of air with minimal fuel exchange going on.
    If you look at the log 7:06 you will see where the O2 are seeing lean during steady speed.

7:06 your idle, not moving, I do notice is there is a lot of saw tooth type pattern to your 02 readings, way more than normal. Not talking about the swing high and low, I'm saying the data, when rich or lean (high is rich, low is lean), so when it is high, it tends to stay there longer so it's easier to see.. when it's high it is very bumpy I think that can be caused by a misfire on that bank. Misfire would create extra oxygen, causing the 02 to dip low for an instant, which yours are doing a lot. I suppose a vacuum leak at the intake port could do the same thing.

Why? I dunno. I would pull the plugs, gap them. Look for a different looking plug.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

do me a favour
    the same file you have uploaded ,, while you in idle ,, press the gass till your ETC hit MAX 100%
    then send me the scan. i might help
    the steps that i want you to do ,
    1- key on
    2- start scanning ( at least wait 5 seconds )
    3- Start the car and wait till it warm up - maybe 3 to 5 min
    4- hit the gass pedal ,, till you have your MAX ETC ( just till you reach 5000 RPM will do )
    5- wait for few seconds and upload the scanner ,,, and also upload the STOCK file for your car
    and i hope i can help ,,

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !