Thread: first time tuning flex fuel soon, any tips?

Advanced Tuner

first time tuning flex fuel soon, any tips?

There a flex fuel station about 1 hour away from me, I finally have the system to support it.

Any tips on tuning it?

How much more timing generally is "safe " to add on a e85 tune compared to straight 93 only.

Seems like a additional 5+ degrees is easy .

any other tips or suggestions for startup and normal driving?

If the computer has the ability to control the flex fuel, most of the stuff should be done on it's own. So long as the alcohol tables are populated. It will change the stoich ratio for you and if the airflow model is pretty well dialed it should be able to run pretty well.

Timing is always a toss up, you need to drive it and see what it likes and where you can add timing with the flex fuel timing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Keep in mind that just because you can add timing without detonation it doesn't mean you're actually going to make more power.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If the computer has the ability to control the flex fuel, most of the stuff should be done on it's own. So long as the alcohol tables are populated. It will change the stoich ratio for you and if the airflow model is pretty well dialed it should be able to run pretty well.

Timing is always a toss up, you need to drive it and see what it likes and where you can add timing with the flex fuel timing.
    So will stock injectors and fuel pump work on running e? I have an 07 silverado, tables seem to be in the ecu. All I need is to wire in an sensor to read the e content?

If the truck has small injectors, the answer is likely no but you'd have to run it to see how far you can get. I believe the flex fuel trucks have like 38lb/hr injectors compared to the 28-29lb/hr that the non flex fuel trucks run. They are larger to support the extra fuel requirements of E85 or whatever mix you are running. Not sure how far a non flex fuel pump could go, may be okay on a NA setup but for sure wouldn't provide enough fuel flow with like a turbo/supercharger.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    My car has the fuel system ready for it, I'm just curious if there's a general guideline on the WOT timing since ill be street tuning.

Kinda sorta not really. Every application is just so different. One car may like the extra 6 degrees of the timing but another may only want 4 degrees. Also some application may get away with much more timing down low than others, it's just a battle with the engine to see.

Start low with additional timing through the flex fuel timing table and the spark correction alcohol AFR correction table. I think on factory FF trucks they add like 4-8 degrees depending on cylinder airmass and rpm when under heavy throttle.

Tuner in Training
    There was less timing on my truck actually on the alcohol timing tables

Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
    There was less timing on my truck actually on the alcohol timing tables
    I noticed this as well. It was - timing throughout the Alcohol tables from the factory. Why would they do that?
    2008 Corvette
    UPP Twin turbo T4 67mm BB billet wheel kit
    427 LME Billet Setup
    Fore Innovations Triple 465 L4 Setup
    FIC 2150 injectors
    RPM TH400/9 inch
    Pro Torque Bolt Together Converter
    MaxxECU Stand Alone