Thread: Gen 2 Coyote Motor in Gen 1 Car

Tuner in Training

Gen 2 Coyote Motor in Gen 1 Car

I have a 2013 5.0 Coyote that needs a motor. Going to install a Gen 2 Aluminator crate motor from Ford Racing. Is HP Tuners able to calibrate for the 15-17 midlock cam phasers vs the old style in the tune file or do I have to have to swap the cams/phasers from the old motor? Thanks!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know if this will help or not.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...bling-its-self

Tuner in Training
    That's kinda what I thought. Ford racing claims you only have to change the intake cam along with both phasers. If I going in there, I'll change them both to be sure.

Here's what Ford said via online support

Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.

Matt says:
    Hello Marv Zuidema. One moment
    Matt says:
    You need to swap the VCT's, timing chain set, crank sprockets, intake cam, phasers and run the gen 1 oil filter adapter
    Marv Zuidema says:
    Need to swap just the intake cam or switch both?
    Matt says:
    Just the intake cam
    Marv Zuidema says:
    Thanks

Thanks Jay

Advanced Tuner
    If I was you I would just swap out the cams and phasers for both exhaust and intake from your current engine, less of a headache this way. Also you will need all the timing compoentners aswell. The oil filter adapter the block is also different

Potential Tuner
    Is an ECU swap a possible alternative?

Tuner in Training
    The stock gen2 ex cam is 13mm lift like a Boss 302, would hate to needlessly give that up for an 11mm cam from an 11-14 GT. You've already going to be reducing the int cam from 13mm to 12mm unless you install CJ int cams.