Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could really use some help with my tune

Could really use some help with my tune

I know this is like my 2nd post, I spend most of my time here lurking and searching, this method usually works for me but man do I need some help!
    I have been working on my tune for some time, but it seems like I get too far from what I started with and the car starts doing weird things. I finally decided to load a very early tune from my car and change only what I knew would need to be changed to suit the new cams and keep the timing where it makes power.
    This proved to be the right idea and now my AFR at WOT is much improved as well as around town drive-ability. The main issue I have at the moment is the car wanting to nearly die as I roll to a stop. It does not die, but the RPM drops enough to dim my headlights and cause the car to surge sometimes.
    The data log attached is taken right after I flashed the tune so I imagine there is some learning going on in the beginning, I'm not 100% sure how that part works. I say this because the STFT maxes out for a short while near the start of the log.
    Any help or pointers would be amazing! I have an idea where to start with the idle as I coast to a stop, but I'm not sure how much to change or exactly which part of the dashpot to mess with.

Car is a 2008 Mustang GT 4.6
    Mods:
    127020 Comp Mutha Thumpr cams with phase limiters
    BBK 62mm throttle body
    IMRC delete plates
    1 3/4 ceramic coated long-tube headers, no cats, 3" header back exhaust with straight thru mufflers
    JLT Series III intake
    -8AN fuel line from the pump to the rail with AEM 50-1000 320LPH pump and wiring upgrade
    4.30 gears
    Original manual trans swapped out for a 4R70W using the US Shift controller (not sure if this matters)

Tune up was done with the cams, HT1 plugs and new coil boots. o2 sensors are brand new Motorcraft replacement, the car is ALWAYS on 93 octane fuel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HeavyLineStreetCars; 05-16-2018 at 12:42 AM.

I made some changes to idle airflow and the dashpot, it def helped but I'm still experiencing some surging at idle and low RPM for a moment as I come to a stop.
    If anyone has some time to look my tune and log over I would much appreciate the pointers.
    Last edited by HeavyLineStreetCars; 04-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.

What weird thing is it doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet35th View Post
    What weird thing is it doing?
    It was oscillating between max rich and max lean in the fuel trims at idle, but I fixed that when I started over from my 1st tune.
    Now I'm mainly having trouble with the idle falling to almost nothing and the car sometimes dying as I come to a stop, along with some popping thru the exhaust and stuttering when I give it about 1/3 throttle while cruising.

Advanced Tuner
    Stock injectors? If not, you'll need to get the data for your injectors & enter it.

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Stock injectors? If not, you'll need to get the data for your injectors & enter it.
    Injectors are stock, the only engine mods I have are listed. The issue I'm having is the popping at 1/3 throttle and the revs dropping too far as I coast to a stop. The "weird" things it was doing are gone since I went back to a modified stock tune instead of the tune I had revised a million times.

Advanced Tuner
    Fuel pressure good? Returnless system?
    Post a log for us to look at

Fuel pressure good? Returnless system?
    Post a log for us to look at
    I posted a log and my tune with the original post as well as my fuel system's upgrades. Fuel pressure is great.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh, ok, I was thinking that was your other one.
    Looks like your MAF sensor needs tuning, STFT is in the thirties at times, that makes it a lot more drivable, when it's tuned, especially down low.

Oh, ok, I was thinking that was your other one.
    Looks like your MAF sensor needs tuning, STFT is in the thirties at times, that makes it a lot more drivable, when it's tuned, especially down low.
    So you like the tune outside of the MAF? What do you suggest with the MAF tuning, or more specifically what drew your attention to it. I'm still learning so any pointers are much appreciated!!

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I was getting outta the shop, took a quick look, first thing I saw, its a basic part of any tune, get that right, then revisit it any time you change anything..
    You must tume the MAF, this is your jet if it was a carb, if its too rich, itll be pulling fuel as it trims, it takes time to to get it if its that far off, causing it to die, or almost

Well, I was getting outta the shop, took a quick look, first thing I saw, its a basic part of any tune, get that right, then revisit it any time you change anything..
    You must tume the MAF, this is your jet if it was a carb, if its too rich, itll be pulling fuel as it trims, it takes time to to get it if its that far off, causing it to die, or almost
    So you din't think the dashpot or idle airflow settings are adding to it? The cams have a super tight lobe separation and quite a bit of duration, I've been reading up and it seems to be brought up a lot when tuning for new cams and idle/decay.

Do you have a suggestion for where I can learn about the MAF tuning, all I've done in that regard is use the known good JLT III MAF transfer function and left it alone.
    Last edited by HeavyLineStreetCars; 04-02-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I would say that MAF tuning should be the first thing to do, in tuning. I learned how in the tuning schools book ford beginners.

Are there changes to the injector timing I need to make beyond what I have, any thoughts on the idle/airflow or decay.
    I'm going to start working on the MAF tomorrow, I'm a little hesitant to change it too much because the WOT AFR is on point most of the time. Any pointers are always appreciated.

Still looking for input, I can post a fresh data log if anyone is interested. I would very much like someone to review my tune, this world is new to me so I'm always looking for feedback.

Advanced Tuner
    Post it up. I'll look, for whatever it's worth.
    Tuning the MAF is super easy, and is one main thing needed in tuning these. Have you tuned the MAF yet?
    I would recommend buying the tuning books & reading, they're really worth the price, and explain things really good. Not everything is explained, but the basics are covered pretty good.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you get the car running good yet? You're not logging MAF sensor volts, so you can't dial in fuel. I have a some idle air changes and a maf change for you

changes22.JPG changes23.JPG

MAF-transfer-JLT-2010-mustang.xlsx

Senior Tuner
    Look at your desired RPM in your tune. If it is oscillating above and below target add a little air until it settles in. If its hanging above target remove air till it settles(I know, opposite of what you would logically think it needs) If your not commanding proper torque at idle it will also show negative timing. Between Torque and Base Air you'll get it to return to idle beautifully. Use the Dashpot function to slow it's return to idle until you get it right without a crazy dip happening. Once idle is good you can adjust the dashpot for a quicker return but keep enough in it that it wont overshoot. I had a bugger of a time with mine, a Ford Racing 4.6 taken to a 4.9, stock heads and cam on mine though and a 2800 stalled converter. Took forever to figure it out, but this worked great for me.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

No, I haven't messed with it. I guess I'm just dense, it's hard for me to get further being self taught, I just want someone to be around to answer my questions and show me the way, lol. I was fine tuning it with the stock cams but these cams are kicking my ass. I feel like my questions get misunderstood or the replies are often not what I am looking for.
    I got frustrated and hired a tuner to work on it. The problem for me is that he is using SCT to do it. Once he is finished I will pull his tune with HP Tuners and go from there.

Advanced Tuner
    I think most of us here on the forums are self taught. Learning every day and teaching what I've learned.

I've tuned two standard 2010s with your cams and bolt ons.. One has a ford racing intake. No fuel systems .
    You have to play with the car yourself. I've probably flashed mine over 1000 times, I'm waiting for my ecm to go bad from so many reflashes.
    St