Thread: Kam reset

Advanced Tuner

Kam reset

Can you do this on the vcm? Or does it do it when you write a new calibration by any chance?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    Can you do this on the vcm? Or does it do it when you write a new calibration by any chance?
    Clears every time you load a tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I thought it would but had not read anything that said it. Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Also, yes, you can KAM reset from VCM scanner under special functions

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Also, yes, you can KAM reset from VCM scanner under special functions
    Has it been confirmed that this actually works?
    I know the crank sensor relearn function does not work, on HPTuners scanner. It works with SCT's handheld tuner thing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Has it been confirmed that this actually works?
    I know the crank sensor relearn function does not work, on HPTuners scanner. It works with SCT's handheld tuner thing.
    Crank relearn worked perfectly for me back in 2016 when I did the clutch on my personal car...don't see why It wouldn't work anymore, and yeah, I've used KAM reset and noticed inferred ethanol reset after hitting it which confirms it reset

Advanced Tuner
    Crank relearn worked perfectly for me back in 2016 when I did the clutch on my personal car...don't see why It wouldn't work anymore, and yeah, I've used KAM reset and noticed inferred ethanol reset after hitting it which confirms it reset
    I've been using HPTuners on my GT500, crank relearn doesn't work, what are/was you using it on? Maybe it works on everything else?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    I've been using HPTuners on my GT500, crank relearn doesn't work, what are/was you using it on? Maybe it works on everything else?
    It works on Coyotes, haven't used it on Shelby's yet though.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you ill have to look for it.

Advanced Tuner
    HPT says the crank relearn works the same way as Ford's IDS does. IIRC there's an issue if the fuel cut or misfire profile has been changed.

Advanced Tuner
    I couldn't find any special features area that allowed a kam reset, but my question is being on flex fuel and running a about e70 most of the time it makes the car very unhappy upon start up as it immedialy show alcohol % on my ngauge at 10.2 and runs not well til it leans it which takes a good amount of driving, or I learned if I sit at idle with rpms around 1500 or so it learns it fast. is there anyway around that?

Not real sure what your question is but alcohol composition is stored in non volatile memory but the learn flag is stored in KAM. If you reset KAM, pull the battery cable, or flash a tune you'll trigger learning again but it should still remember the last alcohol composition value.

You can force it to infer and lock inferred alcohol at idle but I don't recommend it. While idle trims will always have an effect on inferred alcohol, the actual parameters to set the learning flag are defined in your flex fuel parameters under min and max airflow. You could set these lower but you will decrease the accuracy of the inferred value the lower you set the airflow range.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    Not real sure what your question is but alcohol composition is stored in non volatile memory but the learn flag is stored in KAM. If you reset KAM, pull the battery cable, or flash a tune you'll trigger learning again but it should still remember the last alcohol composition value.

You can force it to infer and lock inferred alcohol at idle but I don't recommend it. While idle trims will always have an effect on inferred alcohol, the actual parameters to set the learning flag are defined in your flex fuel parameters under min and max airflow. You could set these lower but you will decrease the accuracy of the inferred value the lower you set the airflow range.
    S197 remember the learned percentage, S550's do not. Every time I do a s550 it will reset back to e10 and then have to learn it was back up. S197's though will recall the last e% and relearn from that as it's starting point

S197 remember the learned percentage, S550's do not. Every time I do a s550 it will reset back to e10 and then have to learn it was back up. S197's though will recall the last e% and relearn from that as it's starting point
    Oh, thanks for the info. I just have experience with my own car and flex fuel, which is an S197. I know SCT has a switch for it that allows info to be stored in either KAM or non-volatile and its set to non-volatile stock. I never thought it would be different for an S550 but that's what I get for assuming.

Advanced Tuner
    Makes sense why it goes back to 10% after every flash