Thread: Need help getting my truck inspected.

Tuner in Training

Need help getting my truck inspected.

I feel awful for posting this but im truly stumped. I've done a tone of searches and followed the advice from not only my tuner ( who isn't familiar with New York Emissions) but lots of forum searches. my problem is I cant get two monitors to clear and allow my truck to pass inspection. im not getting any codes but i cant get my Oxygen sensor, or my 02 heater circuit monitors to reset, they both stay at incomplete. this doesn't effect my inspection but if it helps I also have a heated catalyst monitor N/A message. i have long tubes and no cats.

any help would be amazing! and if there is any other information you need please let me know.

Gonna need more info on your truck. Is it a swap or stock. What year for motor harness and what pcm are you running? If the O2 circuit is incomplete I would bet on a bad wire somewhere like a ground or power wire for the heater portion. Do you have an extension harness for the headers? Check wiring and all connections to the O2 sensors.

Tuner in Training
    thank for the reply! and yea sorry I figured you would need more. its a swap to a iron 6.0 the motor harness is factory to the truck its in a 04 Silverado. the rear 02s aren't even in the truck and the headers didn't need any extensions. do you think they have to be in the truck and plugged in even if they don't read?

Quote Originally Posted by 85K5Jake View Post
    Gonna need more info on your truck. Is it a swap or stock. What year for motor harness and what pcm are you running? If the O2 circuit is incomplete I would bet on a bad wire somewhere like a ground or power wire for the heater portion. Do you have an extension harness for the headers? Check wiring and all connections to the O2 sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    If I'm understanding correctly, I think all you need to do is turn off all the related O2 DTCs. This should bypass the readiness monitors.

Tuner in Training
    any idea on what ones to double check??

Quote Originally Posted by gottogo View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, I think all you need to do is turn off all the related O2 DTCs. This should bypass the readiness monitors.

Advanced Tuner
    From what I know you set them to #3 " no error report", keep it check marked and it sets them to ready. It might not do it right away.
    Now i wouldn't do this then go get it inspected right away get some miles on it. I hear NYS is getting smart and I think this is one way ( not enough miles).

I'm not 100% on this bc I haven't done it, it's just word of mouth.
    I'm in NYS also and I'd love to hear the results...

Surprised you don't get the lean/rich cat test diag with the sensors completely removed too, it's a test HPT can't disable. Though you do need a wideband and be logging commanded AFR to see if the test is going on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    This might help. Notice how the DTCs for the rear O2s are set to No Error Reported.

DTC.jpg

As 5FDP mentioned, there is a cat test that you cannot turn off of GEN3s. If you don't at least have the rear sensors plugged in it will not be able to satisfy its need for that test...so it will cycle rich/lean. I just leave them in the pipe and turn their codes off but even if there is not a bung in the pipe you can plug them in and hang them off the frame or whatever.