Thread: GMP LSX 454 Help

Tuner in Training

GMP LSX 454 Help

Let me start off by saying I am not a tuner and have very little experience playing around with it, I've only played with my own jeep which has a 03 lq9 in it and I have never messed with Gen 4 stuff. My buddy is building an Ultra 4 racer and he got a GMP LSX 454 for it. We altered the harness a bit to shorten it and the only thing we did different was completely removed the knock sensors. When we first fired this thing up it was so rich and it knocked the plugs out of it. I wasn't sure if removing the knock sensors would of changed anything but figured it did because this was supposed to be tuned by GM and ready to go. So the only thing I did was disable the knock sensor codes and the fuel pump circuit code since we are controlling it manually, copied the high octane timing map to the low octane timing map so they matched, and completely zeroed out the maximum knock retard vs rpm. I'm not sure if what I did was right but we fired it back up and had to hold the throttle for a bit to get it to idle. Once it idled we let it run for about 5 mins and now it runs a lot better. I shut it off and pulled a plug and it looks great. I just wanted an opinion on if what I did was the right move or not. Here is the tune that is in it and a log file of it at idle. Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    What do you mean by "it was so rich that it knocked the plugs out of it"

Put low timing back like it was and max knock back like it was - you essentially killed all safeties in timing here
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    What do you mean by "it was so rich that it knocked the plugs out of it"

Put low timing back like it was and max knock back like it was - you essentially killed all safeties in timing here
    I mean it ran so rich it fouled the plugs out. I knew what I was doing was taking the safety measures out but I'm confused on why it stopped running rich after I did that. Also, why would it matter if I zeroed out the maximum knock retard if he isn't running knock sensors anyway?

Tuning Addict
    That's true. If you don't have knock sensors then what you did with both timing adjustments was technically correct. As for the rich part a few things could have played into it.

damn dude that GMPP calibration is all over, PE looks like a roller coaster lol