Thread: E38/LS3 crate/6l90 stand alone - want cruise and tapshift - advice

Tuner in Training

E38/LS3 crate/6l90 stand alone - want cruise and tapshift - advice

Hello,
    I'm putting a crate LS3/6l90/E38 in a Jeep. Would like to have cruise and tapshift. Can you shed some light on what that takes? Rest of Jeep will be wired like a hotrod with a Painless harness. Also planning a Vintage Air ac system.

My transfer case does have a VSS on the tailshaft so that can come into play if needed. I do have the HP VCM Suite Pro.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Kevin

Senior Tuner
    There's one solution to cruise here http://hotrodtherapy.com/cruise-control.html not sure if there are others.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    There's one solution to cruise here http://hotrodtherapy.com/cruise-control.html not sure if there are others.
    Excellent, thank you Sir. I'll check that out. I also found Dakota Digital makes a kit. Which answers my curiosity as to whether cruse could be done strictly from the ECU or not.

Senior Tuner
    Cool, post up what you find that works. I've got a couple Erod swaps that I haven't bothered with cruise in, but it would be nice to add.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    The other option is to get a BCM and add it to the mix. I was looking into that option but decided against it, didn't need cruise that bad. My next swap will likely go the BCM route so that I can pick up a few other creature features.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Cool, post up what you find that works. I've got a couple Erod swaps that I haven't bothered with cruise in, but it would be nice to add.
    After looking at the installation instructions for the Dakota digital kit, it seems pretty simple. They make two kits, one uses the OBDII port and one uses a discrete VSS input.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/CRC-2000.pdf This is for the kit using the discrete VSS input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadams87 View Post
    The other option is to get a BCM and add it to the mix. I was looking into that option but decided against it, didn't need cruise that bad. My next swap will likely go the BCM route so that I can pick up a few other creature features.
    I'd like to avoid that at all costs. My Jeep is a 2010 4dr JK, I'm ripping all the crappy factory wiring out of it and along with it, all the crappy electrical issues the JK's have. Adding a GM BCM just feels like going backwards. Granted, I'll admit I need to research the BCM more because I don't really know squat about them.
    Does the BCM look for all the ABS, clock spring, EVAP and all the other nanny stuff? I'm not going to have any of that.

Thanks guys, this is all good stuff.

Tuner in Training
    Just a follow up. Ordered a stand alone harness from PSI. They recommended the Dakota Digital set up for the cruise. It will be a while before this thing gets fired up, I'm still working on the cage and sheet metal. The road ahead is a long one.