Thread: Knock Retard / LSPI during shift

Knock Retard / LSPI during shift

Trying to solve some knock retard during a shift at WOT. I have Boost dialed in to control spike but I am getting some knock during a shift. When the rpms drop to around 4,500rpm after a gear change I would like to pull timing without affecting the timing maps at 4,500rpm during a pull. I only get knock during the shift.

My question is what is the best way to pull timing during a shift only? Wondering if I can tune the Trans Torque Reduction on upshifts (add more torque reduction) but I don't know if it is pulling timing to reduce torque or if it is a combination of timing, throttle closure, etc to reduce torque. Trans Torque Reduction is set to stock right now.

Car is a 2016 Mustang EcoBoost.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Is the car a manual? It's not uncommon to see minor knock between shifts on manual mustangs. The knock sensors are very sensitive and they can get set off pretty easily during hard shifting. Also any timing pulled the car will add back in, So if you're not getting knock at that load/spark/rpm configuration during wot in that specific rpm area it's probably safe to not worry about it. I'm assuming these are small knock events like -0.50 -> -1.50 ignition timing right?

Quote Originally Posted by pwnall1337 View Post
    Is the car a manual? It's not uncommon to see minor knock between shifts on manual mustangs. The knock sensors are very sensitive and they can get set off pretty easily during hard shifting. Also any timing pulled the car will add back in, So if you're not getting knock at that load/spark/rpm configuration during wot in that specific rpm area it's probably safe to not worry about it. I'm assuming these are small knock events like -0.50 -> -1.50 ignition timing right?
    The car is an automatic. The knock events are typically 0.9-1.5* retard immediately after a shift then quickly disappear.

Sounds like spark torque reduction on shifts to me, which is normal.