Thread: 2013 F150 Procharger P1SC - dyno graph unstable above 4,600 rpm

Post 2013 F150 Procharger P1SC - dyno graph unstable above 4,600 rpm

I am working with a 2013 F150 4 wheel drive with a 5.0. The owner installed a Procharger P1SC kit with the 0280158117 fuel injectors. The supercharger and injectors are the only modifications to this truck.

I worked through setting up the injector flow tables, calibrated the MAF Airflow vs Period, enabled Optimum Power mapping point, adjusted OP enable points, adjusted Engine Torque Mapping Points, made my own Excel file to calculate Inverse (it was over the weekend so I couldn't get an update on 3.7 with the calculators), etc. I have used well over 600 HPT credits in the past 8 years but still only have limited experience with the Copperhead OS.

On the dyno, I have continually gotten unstable power graphs above mid 4000s rpm. You can feel jerky power in the truck and see it in the graph. Before posting this I made sure to pull the #47 60amp fuse for ABS to verify it is not activating during the WOT pull. I have been making pulls in 3rd gear.
    In my datalog I see:
    • ETC Throttle Angle Error - zero during full pull
    • Fuel Source - OL Power Enrich during full pull
    • Torque Source - Driver Demand during full pull
    • IPC wheel Torque Error - 0 lb*ft during full pull
    • Driver Demand Limit Source - No Limit Active for full pull
    • Throttle Angle Source - Torque Control for full pull

One area that I have not modified are the Speed Density mapping point tables. I just got the update with the calculators so at least now I have the ability to edit these tables if that is necessary.
    I do notice in the attached data log that there is a range of RPM during the WOT dyno pull where multiple Mapping Points are reference, and then it returns to 100% OP. Could this be my problem? Is it acceptable to disable all but the OP table for a test? What are the consequences to running just Optimum Power MP full time?

I would genuinely appreciate any ideas and/or constructive criticism of my attempts to tune this truck. Attached are the stock tune, my latest dyno tune, a data log from a dyno pull and a picture of the dyno graph.

Thanks, Clyde
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You are exceeding the 1.6 Load you have in your management tables. I raise the load in timing tables to match predicted Load as well. It's pulling fuel hard when you get into boost too it seems. I'd set up the tables to be able to work with loads up to 1.7 and address the fueling to have it better match commanded. You should have no problem with the 16* your running there in boost. It may be jumping weights since you are so quickly exceeding your limits in timing and torque. Worth trying I think...
    Your Aircharge Load at WOT is also set to limit at 1.0, Id use the scan to put more realistic values in there as well. Under Variable Camshaft you'll also see Optimum Power. You should be able to control the use of OP Map Point there. Set to like 40 low and 20 or 30 above 4k rpm. There is also a Load or VE setting there you can tune for just under that.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 02-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thank you so much for taking the time to look through the file I posted. I have made the following changes based on your recommendations:
    • Increased y-axis in Torque Calculation, Borderline Spark, & MBT mapping point tables to 1.7
    • Adjusting MAF Periods in the WOT range to decrease fuel trims (that was still a work in progress)
    • Aircharge Load at WOT - rescaled according to loads shown in datalog
    • Optimum Power Enable - lowered pedal position required for upper RPM
    • Optimum Power Enable % Load - lowered load required for OP

I will upload these changes later today and report back. Really appreciate the help from guys on this forum that are willing to share knowledge, and I will do my part to update this thread.

Advanced Tuner
    How much boost? What did you gap your plugs at?

Senior Tuner
    Right as your MP weight starts returning to OP, middle of the pull, you get a spark source tipin detonation control. This usually indicates the throttle was closing and opening back up. That usually a limit and you just missed it as it happens relatively quickly.

You should tun up the polling speed on these source PID's and remove a lot of the one you don't really need like inferred octane or closed loop active. This is taking up valuable logging resources. Ideally you only want the PID's that are absolutely necessary to find or fix the issue you are working on.

I wasn't able to get the truck back on the dyno after making the changes suggested in this thread, but I did make some street pulls last night. I tried to incorporate comments from MMGT1 and murfie. On the street the truck has good driveability but on the datalog I can still see that at 4,200 rpm it comes out of 100% Optimum Power until ~5,100 rpm. Also I can still see a brief Spark Source "Tipin Detonation Control" that murfie noticed in the dyno datalog. I did delete some PIDs and increase polling speed for source PIDs but I probably should have made a test configuration with way increased polling speeds and way reduced total PIDs... next time.

One thing I found that made a significant change (for the worse) was when I changed the MAP Max Delta above BP vs RPM units from inHg to PSI. I thought this should be absolute PSIA values but that made the truck very unstable at idle and all ranges of throttle input. Once I lowered these values to boost PSIG as found on the datalog it was back to running like it should.

I gave the truck back to the owner for now, but I promised to continue working to smooth out the power as recorded on the dyno. Some questions that I have:

1. Is it necessary to tune the SD tables for this particular truck that is stock with a P1SC and upgraded injectors?
    2. Is it OK if I switch off most or all but the Optimum Power mapping point table(s)?
    3. Does anyone have a flame thrower?

latest tune file and street datalog are attached.

Clyde
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Any chance that belt is slipping? I have had a bugger of a time keeping the belt from slipping on the Mustang I've been into. Been trying to talk my friend into COG pulley kit for his. No matter what we have done the s.o.b. slips. We tighten the heck out of it and its good for a few passes then it starts slipping again. He wants to try sandblasting the existing one but I think that will work for a day and it'll go straight south as well. I'm convinced the only "real" fix for this is to COG the dam thing.
    Short of that, like mentioned above, I'd be checking those plugs and testing the coils to make sure they are up to snuff.
    And...we have not touched the SD tables in his and it's running just fine. We are putting 14lbs through this one and hitting loads of 1.8
    Last edited by MMGT1; 03-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6