Thread: H3 i5 with 4L60e swapping to 6.0

Tuner in Training

H3 i5 with 4L60e swapping to 6.0

Swapping a 2008 6.0 from a 2008 2500hd into a 2008 H3 i5 keeping the original 4L60e. Swapped the bell housing, but hit a snag. The factory trans has no speed sensor. So now I am trying to figure out how to control the factory transmission.

Are you keeping it 4x4? If so your OSS (output speed sensor) is actually in the transfer case NOT in the transmission. If you are dropping the t-case and going to 2wd, or rear wheel drive only, then your trans is going to have to be modified with a 2 wheel drive output shaft, 2 wheel drive extension housing, and a speed sensor in the ext. housing.

Also, you CANNOT just swap the bell housing! The I5 Hummer H3 trans uses a different PUMP, INPUT SHAFT/INPUT DRUM, and TORQUE CONVERTER. Measure the bolt spacing on your old torque converter. Now compare that to the bolt holes on the flywheel on the 6.0 engine.. Different? Yea, I thought so. They WILL NOT bolt together. And NO!! You cannot just slap in a different torque converter and be done.. You will be swapping the parts I've listed above into the 60E in order for it to function behind that 6.0.