Thread: not sure how to use Standalone Data Logging

Tuner in Training

not sure how to use Standalone Data Logging

ive looked in the help files and cant find how to just use the pro to perform Standalone Data Logging. cant some one please give me a step by step.
    thanks
    04 Z06-AFR 205's, LGM G5X1-E, LG long tubes, etc.. 458/423
    05 Colorado Z71-Stock

Tuner
    Not sure if you are looking in the right place, but this is about as basic as it can get. Can't spoon feed it any better than this. Open the helps section, search for "standalone"

FROM THE HELP FILE

MPVI Pro Standalone Data Logging

The standalone data logging capability of the MPVI Pro unit allows scanning of the vehicle without the use of a laptop. You can simply load your config using VCM Scanner into the MPVI Pro unit, take the MPVI Pro unit to the vehicle and press and hold the record button for two seconds to begin recording.

When you are done recording, press and hold the stop button for two seconds.
    You must always use the stop button to halt the logging process.
    Powering down the unit while it is recording or while the Busy LED is lit during a stop request will cause the current log to become corrupted.

The interface can store up to 32 individual logs if they are small, or about 80 minutes of data.
    This all varies on the vehicle you are connected to and the number of bytes per frame you are recording.

To insert a marker while recording, press the Record button for 1 second. The Busy light will blink indicating a marker has been inserted into the recorded data.
    After a marker has been added there is a 2 second delay before you can add another marker.

All button sequences take 1 seconds to validate.
    When not logging, hold the record and stop buttons for 2 seconds to erase the logs without the laptop. The Busy LED will blink until all logs are erased.
    The Record light will blink when you have used 90% of the memory, or have about 6 minutes of space for data left on the interface.
    The ERR light will flash after a record request if the interface could not establish communications with the vehicle. The configuration setup is vehicle specific and may require you to program a new configuration for the vehicle you are logging.
    The ERR light will light solid if a configuration is not programmed, the interface is full, or a corrupt log location has been found. Use the software to determine.

Write Config

This will write your current table display configuration into the MPVI Pro unit.
    Be aware that it will erase any current logs you have saved in the unit.

You can use user defined AUX inputs with your configuration as well.
    Any configured outputs will not be stored into the config of the MPVI Pro unit.
    Only inputs are recorded during standalone data logging, outputs are not used.

Get Info

This will report the current VIN, operating system ID, number of logs present and the percentage of log data mem used.

Read Logs

This will read all logs from the interface. No logs will be erased by reading them.

Erase Logs

This will erase all logs currently stored in the interface. Your config will not be erased.

Tuner in Training
    yeah i read all that i think where i was having the prob was that i didnt just have the MVPI hooked to the labtop, the obII cable was unpluged. just didnt know if i pushed wrote it would go into the MVPI. ill try that BLOWNZ06 thanks
    05 Colorado Z71-Stock

Pretty straightforward...

Connect MPVI Pro to Laptop with the USB cable. Write your desired scanning config to the MPVI. Unplug from computer. USB cable not required at this point. Connect MPVI to your car, start up the vehicle, press and hold record for ~2 seconds, and watch for the red light. After that, log away!
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Tuner in Training
    i got it i didnt see the the mvpi pro data loggin on the bottom of scan
    05 Colorado Z71-Stock

Took me a while to find it too
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    Once I get to this point, I seem to be misunderstanding how to then read the recording from the MPVI unit, once it is plugged back in the computer.
    Does the scanner program not read the data you just logged? If, please direct mt to those instructions, I'm not seeming to find the direction at this point.

I've hooked up the unit, after erasing all logs now, several times, the last, following these instructions to a T, however, I found a part (which I've lost now) that read something bout "be in the car, nothing on, and let it read this way, I did have my drivers door open.

I need to figure out how to mark certain posts, or cut paste n print.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    Once I get to this point, I seem to be misunderstanding how to then read the recording from the MPVI unit, once it is plugged back in the computer.
    Does the scanner program not read the data you just logged? If, please direct mt to those instructions, I'm not seeming to find the direction at this point.

I've hooked up the unit, after erasing all logs now, several times, the last, following these instructions to a T, however, I found a part (which I've lost now) that read something bout "be in the car, nothing on, and let it read this way, I did have my drivers door open.

I need to figure out how to mark certain posts, or cut paste n print.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

To read the logs from the unit:

Connect it to your computer

Open VCM Scanner

Go to Vehicle, MPVI Pro data logging

Hit "get info"

A list of logs will show up over on the left. Hit read all logs or read selected, whichever you want.

Save the logs to your computer.

Now you can open the files you just saved in VCM Scanner just like any other log.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-25-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

That was what I did, it took me to a "save as" screen, there were a couple other files there, I stopped at that point and began searching site again for more info. So, I got a file to show up in read bo, I click it and it wants to save as, is this the normal task function, save as first, then read?
    Oh, and in the help guides, I am only able to get a couple demo videos to open, all the others time out. I have a good computer and min. 5gig connection?
    Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help, I'm digging the info here and the info all the RegalGS.org site pals are willing to share.
    Since I am obviously doing more mods, wanted a finer tuned baseline, then some comparison tunes as I go. Which brings me to the compare window option, does this not work? I would love to have the ability.

Lastly, I think I messed up at the very beginning. I was trying to save stock tune, I ended up with a empty file inn the tree called "base", this was my stock tune name, just nothing there.
    Isn't likely to see a dealer, I only have 2 guys that have worked on my vehicles in the last 25 years, and they both own the same place. They already know where I am going, as it started with a plug change and he put factory ones in. Immediately swapped with full credit.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

You have to save the log files from the interface to your computer if you're using the standalone logging. That's all it is doing... save the files somewhere. Then you can open them with Scanner and view them. The stand along logging menu is basically just for moving logs from the interface to your computer and setting the config the interface is going use when logging by itself, I.e. standalone.

The "base" in the history list is just that--the original file read from the car. This does not mean it's the original tune; it's just the original file that HPTuners read (when YOU did a read..).

As you make changes/write them to the computer it will start adding other entries that show what changes were made beyond that.

You can open any of the other entries as a "compare" file, but you won't have items in there to use as a compare file until you actually make changes and save/flash them.

You can open totally separate files files (say, from the repository) and compare them to your current file as well if you'd like

Be careful what you copy off of the repository. There are plenty of not so awesome tunes on there and every car is different.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Ok, this was my confusion "fear" there is a whole long description of fear from a great movie.... Just sayin.
    You cleared my head, got what I wanted, just some PID's need swapped, the MPVI unit I guess only recognizes or works with a certain number of PID's and I had to many. Think I deleted a couple and left a couple backwards, but now well on my way. Do you know what the max numver of PID's can be read by the MPVI unit?

I do have a quick question, as the BM pressure and Air Temps were really high, I mean off the charts with "national WS warnings" for heat index. I noticed my IAT off the chart. I know there is a min. setting, is there a maxx "force read setting"? I know this affects other items, I understand this, but would like to make engine feel it's breathin lower than 180 plus temp air.
    For a mild mod, the car reads very clean as set as for fuel, air, spark and many areas except a few quite affected by heat. So far, quite happy, and adjustments on simpler things are getting easier.

I would like to ask, the color coding in charts? Do they have a specific purpose, as to stay in green your safe, get in yellow or deeper, be careful?

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

So, as far as I can remember, I can't remember "writing a file" to the car, But, I can't open the base, to see stock settings for comparison.
    So as I understand, I setup like a scan, and read from the MPVI unit, then save this file as the stock tune in the files where other tune files are kept.
    Thus, being able to open the stock scan/tune to any additional once changed.
    I'd still like to know more of what the colors mean.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

The color codings are just to make things more visual. Whether something is safe/not safe is up to the tuner to understand/decide. You can change them to however you want them to look.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You have to save the log files from the interface to your computer if you're using the standalone logging. That's all it is doing... save the files somewhere. Then you can open them with Scanner and view them. The stand along logging menu is basically just for moving logs from the interface to your computer and setting the config the interface is going use when logging by itself, I.e. standalone.

The "base" in the history list is just that--the original file read from the car. This does not mean it's the original tune; it's just the original file that HPTuners read (when YOU did a read..).

As you make changes/write them to the computer it will start adding other entries that show what changes were made beyond that.

You can open any of the other entries as a "compare" file, but you won't have items in there to use as a compare file until you actually make changes and save/flash them.

You can open totally separate files files (say, from the repository) and compare them to your current file as well if you'd like

Be careful what you copy off of the repository. There are plenty of not so awesome tunes on there and every car is different.
    Thanks for the last statement, I've been told this numerous times from other forums I've joined.
    I do have a question as to the write to logger. On several instances it seems I had to many read options picked (PID's) and it said to many to read. So, what is the magic number, and I acn set to that sepc'd number with only what I want, then a few I can check those as well types settings.

Thanks

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Honestly, I'm not sure... I've never had that error

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6