Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boosted Coyote Missfire problem 2500-3000rpm and Inj-Cut at WOT

Just a little 2.3L Whipple with 15% overdrive and 2.75 upper pulley. Runs 20lbs boost but I know I am overspinning it quite a bit. On the dyno it has a nice curve up to 875rwhp@6500rpm. Once I hit 6500rpm ish the hp drops down to 850 and stays there for the rest of the run up to 8000rpm. Torque takes a nose dive at the 6500rpm area also. Have been told its the blower running out but the boost doesn't drop.

Dyno5.PNG

This is the dyno sheet. Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    What fuel are you running rcmikey?

Quote Originally Posted by rcmikey View Post
    If this is the run from that dyno sheet I would take a closer look. Cam phaser is changing dramatically and throttle closing is going to create less power. Looks to be TQ managed

throttle.PNG

Green line is throttle body and white is accelerator pedal. Accelerator pedal polling is slow so it looks like it closes. As you can see the throttle body stays open though the entire run.

cams.PNG

Cams are following exactly what is commanded. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. I was going to try to close my plug gap just a little to see if I can move the bump in the dyno graph just to rule out the high cylinder pressures not letting the spark form properly. I am running the stock coils yet. Plugs were gapped to .028, might be a little too much gap. There is no audible misfire at 6500 just the dip in hp then flattens out. RPM as you see keeps climbing and boost stays steady if not climbs a little too. Next trip to dyno will try as much as I can from ideas given here. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by badassbird View Post
    what fuel are you running rcmikey?
    ftw 99+

Its not too bad for a 2.3L Whipple from what I'm told.

So at 6100 your MAP points change an you go from OP to others by 6500 then comes back at 7300. Cannot tell you which as your log does not show. So while your boost may not go down (due to cam phasing changes) your ability to move air may. I believe this is tune. The loss is too flat, appears it is being managed.
    Last edited by jsllc; 01-17-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Yes it does come out of OP and use MP 9 and 10. Have not figured that out either. The torque and inverse to include spark tables are all the same between MP 9,10 and OP. Might just only use OP table to eliminate that. Thanks!!

Your managing comment got me thinking. My Map Max is set at 60 inhg and you can see by the log the Calculated Map reaches this limit. I am wondering if it tries to fall back into the other MP's to keep from exceeding the Map Max limit. I can raise the limit or fix the speed density.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the same exact issue with a Roush Supercharged crate motor.

I'm not a tuner, and just use the scanner to help diagnose misfire issues. Problem is, I can't seem to be able to log individual cylinder misfires (I can log them with LS motors). All I can see are: Misfire Detected, Misfire RPM & Total Misfires Since Key-on. Is this a function of the PCM that ships with the crate motor? Or am I missing how to add them with the Coyote?

When ignition miss is detected the ecu turns off corresponding injector so save fuel wash and the catalytic. Drop the gaps and turn off all misfire tests. We used to have this issue with Aus XR6T, lowing the plug gaps would reduce the flyback voltage on decel enough that the ecu thought the plug had not fired, in response to what the ecu considered a miss it would cause the corresponding injectors to turn off.

Advanced Tuner
    not to highjack, but in regards to Brisk plugs, which I have very little experience with. What do you think about reading them? I normally use NGK and find it easier to see the timing mark.

Tuner in Training
    The gaps are fine. For some reason the Misfire Monitor is disabled, so I'm not getting any misfire codes. I'm assuming it's a function of the crate PCM. Can flash a stock Supercharged Coyote file so I can have the monitor on?
    Attached Images Attached Images