Thread: Cot

Advanced Tuner

Cot

I have COT temperature turned off while I'm VE tuning. I did a long pull on a hill last night to populate cells and by the end my Cat temperature was 1660*, then immediately came back down when the load went away back down to 1400-1450. When I stopped I thought my brakes were overheated because it had that hot brake smell outside the car. I think maybe it was the cat making that smell? Did that hurt it?

How does temp threshold 1-3 work. I guess threshold 3 is first since it is the lowest number?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    ttt

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

change all 3 temperatures by the same amount. They are the various thresholds for the enrichment and the rate of enrichment to occur.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Did that cause damage to the cat though?

does it look damaged?
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    You can't see inside it without cutting it apart. Has anyone fried a cat because COT was turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    You can't see inside it without cutting it apart. Has anyone fried a cat because COT was turned off?
    *generally* no. When the cat melts it turns into a large blob and basically plugs itself up. It can also shatter the honeycomb structure and go into the mufflers or fly out your exhaust.

Either way, i'm sure you would know.

The COT feature exists to ensure the durability and a long service life of the cat. But to answer your question, yes i'm sure somewhere, someone has fried a cat due to overheating.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Chris.