Thread: 2014 Mustang V6 3.7 M6 Noob Tuning Advice

Potential Tuner

2014 Mustang V6 3.7 M6 Noob Tuning Advice

I have been trying to learn how to tune my 2014 Mustang V6 3.7 Manual trans. My only modification to the car is an Airaid CAI. It's supposed to be a no tune required but my first log showed LTFT at +7.0. I started by focusing on dialing in my fuel trims by using the LTFT+STFT method. I've made a few other changes from the stock tune.

Torque Max vs RPM : Maxed out values
    Pedal WOT start position: This seems to have helped my surge issues.
    Fuel Enrichment Pedal
    WOT Lambda: Slightly leaner above 6000 RPM

Most of the changes I have made have come from reading the following websites.
    http://www.masterenginetuner.com/2011-mustang-v6.html
    http://www.modularfords.com/content/...sing-HP-Tuners

Can anyone give me some advice on other modifications that will improve the drivability of my car? I don't want to do anything crazy since this is my daily driver but I do like torque and horsepower! Improved fuel mileage too.

Current tune
    2014-Mustang-37-M6-tune.hpt

Stock tune with only TQ Max vs RPM changes
    2014-Mustang-37-tq-max-only-changes.hpt

Most recent log
    2014 Mustang-2017-12-09-1.hpl

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by wooglin280; 12-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Check for air leaks at the cai connections I will look at your tune over the next couple of day and get back to you .

Potential Tuner
    Thanks efiv6. Much appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    First off on theses cars when you reflash them you may have to drive them some 20 miles or so do to adptive learning. Two depending on what fuel is available in your area 91 or 93 is how much timming you can add. Work on your torque management both under engine and trans. WOT fuel theses cars like little more try around .8500 - .8600 start there all your other changes you make are good but your wot fuelling remember small changes it take a good amount of time to do it right have fun

Potential Tuner
    Thanks efiv6. I'm using 93 octane fuel. I'm going to reset my MAF vs Period to stock and do it over with more miles between adjustments.

My WOT fueling vs Lambda table already looks rich. The changes I made at 6000 and 6750 were to make it a little leaner (0.864 and 0.845). Are you saying this was a bad change? Should I be adjusting the lower RPMs? (0.873 stock)

Also, stoic is set to 14.08 so by my calculations (14.08 x 0.845) = 11.90 AFR. Is this correct or should i be using 14.7 in these calculations?

Stock
    WOT-fuel-lambda-stock.jpg

Tune
    WOT-fuel-lambda-tune.jpg
    Last edited by wooglin280; 01-06-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yes 2000 on up in my car witch is the same yours but an auto. I my work good at .8550 but all cars are a little different. Don't forget stoich is 14.08

Tuner in Training
    Your math is correct most i found like 12.00 to 12.20 log torque source and take her out and hammer it that will tell you what torque management source is kicking in

you can add some percentage to the driver demand table make sure you log all the channels for your weight factors. and you can start adding 1 or 2 degrees timing at a time. most of your timing in wot is coming from the op table.

you might want to richen up a lil bit too before you add some timing I would go with 0.855 and add little bit timing to see how it likes it
    Last edited by Rigo_eff1fitty; 12-27-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Should I start by adding 1 to 2 degrees timing to the entire Optimum Power table or would you suggest targeting a specific load vs rpm range? Also, i see some of the cells are negative. Should i avoid changing those?

Thanks for all of the tips so far.

Yes add it to entire table. If you see any knock remove it in the areas were its present

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Rigo and efiv6 for all the advice so far. I can't quite get the MAF correct so I need to take a step back from the more advanced tuning (i.e. timing adjustments, etc). I'm still noticing large STFT swings. I've been logging my LTFT+STFT fuel trims against my MAF Airflow vs Period row Y axis numbers. For the first adjustment stock, I copied logged values and paste special multiplied by %. For all subsequent adjustments i paste special and multiply by % half. For the most part my LTFT is pretty close to 0, usually 0 to + or - 2.3. The STFT vary widely. I just can't seem to get it correct. Do I need to use the wideband readings to adjust at all?

Am I messing it up by going WOT during this phase? Is the PE fueling throwing it off?

Tuner in Training
    I personally don't do nothing with my stft as long as my ltft are as close to 0 as possible and my commanded afr and my actual afr are the same stft always moving to fast

Referencing the article, can anyone explain why he maxes out torque max vs rpm? or why he adjusts scheduled torque? Any suggestions for best parameters to datalog that will show if you're getting any kind of torque management at part throttle (besides throttle angle)?

Tuner in Training
    Hey man, i just read through your sources and adjusted my first tune. Great success so far. Can i ask if you have made any further adjustments or any progress in tuning your 3.7? thanks!