Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timing wont let it idle

timing wont let it idle

i got it running. i put a edlebrock proflo xl with 90mm. i have new 36lb injectors but not yet. running 19lb trying to make it idle. if i the controls in vcm i can change to timing to 23 and it idles sort of. but it keeps going to about 7 degree. i have turned off every adder/sub i can find. im about to put an ol 235 straight 6 in this truck.
    thanks for any help.
    jerry

496 specs.pdfit runs no idle.hptcant time it.hpl

engine.jpg

try lowering your idle region spark in the idle spark tables to something around 16-18

timing wont let it idle

Quote Originally Posted by luisdavid11 View Post
    try lowering your idle region spark in the idle spark tables to something around 16-18

i will try that in the morning. but the problem is no matter what i do the actual timing near idle is 7-8 degrees. not that i have the throttle open about 3 percent to make it idle. i can lower that if i get the timing up around 23 which is where i get the best vac.
    thanks for answering.

just saw your log, your tps needs to be reset. log tps voltage, .65v is a good start. once you get your tps to that voltage turn ignition on, unplug tps for 10 seconds, turn ignition off and plug tps back in. you want tps to be 0-0.8 to get it to idle right

With that cam/displacement you are going to be pulling alot of air. If you can't get the iac steps down within the .75 volt max then you will have to opent the throttle blade hole so you can get the idle IAC's down to 50-70 steps with a TPSv less than .7v. Do the TP relearn like advised above to get the TPS% back to 0 and stay in the idle zone.

I'm not having a good day...third update now I read it says advertised at .050 !. That cam is way too big ..... mid to high rpm power, steep rear gears needed to get there, going to need 11-12;1 compression, if auto a 3500+ rpm stall, and maybe even a vacumm pump to run your brakes....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 12-16-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

dam old people. i just wanted a little more power than stock. think they sold me a race engine. i am sick but will deal with it.
    thanks so much for the replys.
    there is a idle screw in the tb and i open it all the way and still not enough. do i need to drill the blade? or get a different cam. i am calling the engine guys i bought it from right now.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyrider View Post
    dam old people. i just wanted a little more power than stock. think they sold me a race engine. i am sick but will deal with it.
    thanks so much for the replys.
    there is a idle screw in the tb and i open it all the way and still not enough. do i need to drill the blade? or get a different cam. i am calling the engine guys i bought it from right now.
    thanks
    You could easily replace the cam with a tamer unit.....or have them do it.....they did advertise the specs correctly...

Also what 36lb injectors do you have? My calculations say with a 20% margin and 600 crank hp you will need like 42's.

Let us know how the call goes

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 12-16-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Timng still a problem

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    You could easily replace the cam with a tamer unit.....or have them do it.....they did advertise the specs correctly...

Also what 36lb injectors do you have? My calculations say with a 20% margin and 600 crank hp you will need like 42's.

Let us know how the call goes

Ed M
    so i drilled a hold in the blade. got it to idle my iac is around 130 and i still have to force the timing from 7 to 23 to get that to work. any ideas how i can make the timing higher at idle. i have tried setting everything to 23 but is still goes to 7 at idle. not gonna have any gray hairs left, pullng them out.
    thanks so much!
    Jerry

Jerry, use this scanner config and post a log...

Thx

Ed M

[email protected]

thanks will do tomorrow.

so i drilled a hold in the blade. got it to idle my iac is around 130 and i still have to force the timing from 7 to 23 to get that to work. any ideas how i can make the timing higher at idle. i have tried setting everything to 23 but is still goes to 7 at idle. not gonna have any gray hairs left, pullng them out.
    thanks so much!
    Jerry
    99 times out of 100, low timing where you can't attain your base idle advance is due to either too much air or fuel. The adaptive Psark Control (Over/Underspeed) in the Spark Tab will pull timing to lower the Idle RPM too your target value. Sounds like the whole airflow calibration is either off (RAF too high) or you have a major air leak. The configs I gave you will help determine the situation.

Ed M

[email protected]

did you reset tps

tps ok. i tried to load the log layout files from ed and had trouble. now all my math is gone dont know how to get it back. i am sick. any way to get back my math.l i tried to load my saved layouts but the math dont come back. also timing is the problem cant get it go come above 7 degrees at idle no matter what i do. gonna give up til after xmas got to go to grand kids.
    thanks every one for the help.
    jerry

is your tps reading 0-0.8 at idle? if its anything above that it will not idle right

tps ok timing issue

tps is .78 and reads zero. i got it to idle but not with out adding about 14 degrees to timing to get it to 23. i cant figure out the timing. the first part of the latest log shows startat 7 degrees then i run it up to 23. i drove it around the block and have lots of tuning but i just need to get a handle on the timing.
    thanks!
    around the block.hpl

tps ok. i tried to load the log layout files from ed and had trouble. now all my math is gone dont know how to get it back. i am sick. any way to get back my math.l i tried to load my saved layouts but the math dont come back. also timing is the problem cant get it go come above 7 degrees at idle no matter what i do. gonna give up til after xmas got to go to grand kids.
    thanks every one for the help.
    jerry
    Don't understand how a Channel and chart file as well as the math file being saved could wipe out your math? All your data should still be in Documents>HP Tuners>VCM Scanner and the folders channel, graph, chart and math....

If you download Teamviewer version 11.X, I'll look for you and setup you channels.....email me the ID and Password when you get it downloaded

Ed M

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I was gonna mention I had a friend who had this issue. His tps said wasn't at 0% and it was idling above idle command.
    His idle overspeed would pull timing trying to idle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luisdavid11 View Post
    thanks, if you look at the tables now they are way above 7 but the timing keeps going to 7-8 even when i drive it. like computer is not controlling.
    thanks

Log found

DAM NOOB. old ones are worse. i found math but still trying to figure out the log.
    so when i load your files i have to load the config and the graf and chart seperate?
    sorry dumb question. i need to take your training class but i just trying to get my truck to run, after that i quit... lol
    jerry

thanks i though about that so i took all the over/under speed tables to zero. maybe that dont work. anyway my tps is setup. after ed idea drill a hole i got it to idle. my brother thinks maybe my crank sensor is not working correctly. would that be a case ? i would think if that was an issue it would not run and the timing matches my lite when i check it. dono...
    thanks again for your ideas.
    jerry