Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: timing wont let it idle

Maybe this is it.

Vet 3.6. Trouble with crank relearn. I got P1345 code. Ran out of time went to northern California to help my parents before Xmas. I'll be back Dec 27. Thanks and yes merry Christmas happy holidays thank all you for help.

Advanced Tuner
    Zero out the knock retard tables under the spark retard tabs to see if that stops pulling spark. Since you are only working on idle it won't hurt anything. Also log knock to see if that is pulling timing. Also your underspeed table in spark advance isn't zeroed out just to make sure that isn't pulling timing. Also by your log you are idling in the 1600 rpm range and your timing there is 11 degrees. I guess i missed it but what size engine do you have and what are the cam specs?

Also your VE table is screwed up in the 1200-2400 rpm range.
    Last edited by gagliano7; 12-22-2017 at 04:32 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Can't view his tune at the moment but if he's idling atr 1600 wouldn't his overspeed be pulling timing to bring it down?

I still haven't seen a log based on the Scanner configs I provided.....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    I still haven't seen a log based on the Scanner configs I provided.....

Ed M
    He said he'll be back on the 27th ��

Quote Originally Posted by anniversaryss View Post
    He said he'll be back on the 27th 😁
    Happy Holidays to all as well....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

im back. hope you all got your every wish for christmas. so when i left i decided it was the crank position sensor/cam sensor. i got back today and started trying to get the cam and crank in sync. i started by connecting my volt meter to the signal from the crank sensor and rotating the crank until i got a change. it was a little past tdc. then i moved the distributor until i got a change on that. it started and i got it to idle. the timing came up from 7-8 to 10-12. i then tried watching the timing and moving the distributor until the timing on the computer came up to around 23. weee it was idling with out me forcing the timing. so after research i figured i needed to get the cam retard close to zero so after pulling out my hair i opened vcm and typed in offset to add a channel and cam offset came up.
    started it up and i had it around -3 degrees - -6 degrees. i then moved the distributor until that number was 0.3 to -0.1. presto not the computer is controlling the timing and i got it idling around 950-1000 rpm. i tried a crank relearn but not sure it worked. gonna work on that tomorrow. also i will post my files after a few more tests.
    so happy to hear it run ..... weee. also so happy you all are on this site. thanks again.

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS. So after a month of pulling my hair out i decided to just change the cam. when i removed the cam gear i found the retainer was missing. the builder just forgot to put it in. so the cam was walking about 1/4" from front to rear causing the cam sensor to through things out of syns. this is why i couldnt get it to time right. i was really really pissed but happy to find it. The builder told me i should have checked that before i installed it and put one in.... really? anyway i am still talking to them to try to get some help cuz after that i discovered the rear main was beat in with a screw driver and put a hold in it so it was pooring oil out. i had to pull the engine to fix because cam plug in the back had pushed out a bit when the cam moved. wow. yep. once i got the new cam in and the oil leaks fixed it started right up and runs soo good. gonna do some tuning but what a difference it makes when the cam in stable. thanks for all the help. hope my experience helps the next person. cant trust anyones work but your own?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Damn....that was going to be my next guessss...noooooot, just kidding. Good find....one of the reason most of us got into tuning was for the same reason but the mechancal stuff is a bit more difficult and many are forced to believe.....Great job rooting out the cause and corrective action.....I am not one to jump to conclusions but shame on that shop.....we should have a Wall of Shame on this Forum to save others...

Ed M

[email protected]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Damn....that was going to be my next guessss...noooooot, just kidding. Good find....one of the reason most of us got into tuning was for the same reason but the mechancal stuff is a bit more difficult and many are forced to believe.....Great job rooting out the cause and corrective action.....I am not one to jump to conclusions but shame on that shop.....we should have a Wall of Shame on this Forum to save others...

Ed M
    Thanks just lucky to catch it before the cam cam apart and took bottom end with it. Wall of shame i like. we all make mistakes and thats ok as long as we admit to and do the right thing to fix them.
    thanks for all your responses on this forum. i see you help many.

IAC wont return hi idle

old fart having trouble. so i got it running pretty good. but... it takes a few more cranks to get it to start. and after its idling fine i rap the throttle and the iac opens up and does not return to idle position. whats up? tried lots. most likely got something simple wacked out. i am not a tuner....

thanks so much!
    Jerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Curious, why is the stoich ratio so low?

Regular pump gas is should be 14.68ish unless you are trying to run E15 or something. Not having the right stoich ratio will throw a bunch of your fueling numbers out of whack. I'd also make the open loop EQ ratio 1.00 for all temps above 140-150 degrees, this will prevent it from commanding an extra rich mixture when it does not need to. Also the VE is like a roller coaster down low, that will cause you some other issues as well.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

thanks, i made it more pretty and changed the eq. still same problem. hard start, turn over maybe 3 seconds. this log i let idle then poped the throttle. the iac cam up and didnt return. each time i hit the throttle the iac moved and stayed where it landed. when i turn off and start it idles normal until i hit the throttle.
    i know its easy but there is so much i dont understand. like cracker,follower,adaptive,dfco..
    i am learning but will never be a tuner. once i get it running im gonna get rid of all my tools and tuners. frustrated....
    thanks again for the reply and help!!
    Jerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fixed it.

so easy... this follower had a number of 211.0 all across the speed. opened a compare and borrowed the settings. works great.
    thanks im learning.... yeah not bad for an old dog.....
    Attached Images Attached Images