Thread: quick question about a 97 vette vcm

Potential Tuner

quick question about a 97 vette vcm

good evening

i recently purchased a 97 c5 vette for my latest project. i already have hptuners from a previous vehicle that was ls swapped, that vehicle used a 411 pcm. as i understand it the 97 vcm is kinda of a red headed step child of the ls world , as such ive read that you should only use the binary originally found in the vcm and that i shouldnt use files made by other software packages. so am i correct in assuming that as long as i use and modify only the original file that i pull out of the vehicle i should be fine ....is that correct ? just want to make sure i dont brick my vcm , any other 97 tips are welcome as well , im just changing basic stuff fan temps, ETC stuff for switching to dorman ls2 and ls2 throttle body etc. also is there any way to tell if the file i pull from the car has already been modified ??

Hello. I think it is always best to just modify the file you pulled out of the vcm and put it back in. I did this ls2 intake, t.b., injector, and fuel rail swap not too long ago. I did it with arh longtube headers and vararam ram air on a automatic 2002 corvette. While you will not take my tune file and just upload it to your vcm, you can certainly copy over tables. That tune file if you want it is at the end of the very first post in this thread: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-Power-in-a-C5

And you can always open 2 instances of hptuners and download a stock tune file for your car from the tune repository and compare tables. Or if you need a stock 1997 c5 tune to compare I have one right here:1997 stock ls1.hpt
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 12-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.