Thread: Need advice on Whipple SC 2007 Mustang GT Tune

Potential Tuner

Need advice on Whipple SC 2007 Mustang GT Tune

Hi,

I am new to tuning and looking for some help and guidance for improving drivability of my 2007 Mustang. I have had problems with lean tip-in and rich tip-out of the throttle. Logs also show spark knock occurring under part throttle loading, I am not sure if this is due to the timing or tip in/out issues. Adjustment of fuel transient gains and time constants have showed some improvement, but have not been able to make the car maintain a lambda of 1.0 or less on tip-in. I have referenced many tunes on this forum and prior post did not see a clear solution for this issue. Please take a look and share your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance! - Michael

I have listed all modifications below along with attached log and tune file. Log is of a drive after fueling up with 2 WOTs logged.

2007 Mustang GT - 4.6L - TR6060 Swap - 3.73 Rear Gear
    2.3L Whipple supercharger w/2.75" pulley and 10% overdrive Innovators West damper (roughly 17.5 psi boost), Forged rotating asm, forged Diamond pistons 9.2:1 CR, 47lbs injectors (same as 2007 GT500), Whipple CAI with 95mm MAF housing and factory slot sensor, twin 62mm L&M throttle body, Livernois Stage 2 ported cylinder heads, stock cams, JBA long tube headers, JBA catted H-pipe, JBA cat back, 2007 GT500 duel fuel pump.
    MRH_Tune-TB_Tune-V16.hptTB_V16-11262017_2.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I would say your issue has allot to do with those injectors. As long as your injector data and maf values are correct keep working your transient tables.

Advanced Tuner
    I have almost same issue on my 2014GT500, slight spark knock on tip in. If I go immediately to wot, no problem, but a sudden increase to a good load, but not wot, and I get a little knock, it does go away quickly, but still need to tune it out. I have been tuning the spark tables, but still getting knock, it's like the spark can't react quick enough, I'm pretty sure fuel is getting there quick enough, but wb won't show it quick enough. I kind of think I need to adjust tip-in too, like the OP. I have a copperhead, where he most likely has a spanish oak?

Potential Tuner
    Hi Devildog1325,

Just curious about your comment on the Ford Racing injectors (M-9593-G302). Are these tricky injectors to tune or does it have more to do with the lower flow rate control? I have been reviewing the size of these injectors and the power level of my setup and typical calculations suggest these are grossly undersized 47 lb/hr and need something closer to 60 to 65 lb/hr assuming 0.65 BSFC at 80% duty cycle. I believe that the returnless fuel system will increase the pressure to compensate for higher fuel demand, but seems like bandaid. HP does not log injector duty cycle, but rough calculations for ~5000 RPM WOT pull showed 75% duty cycle with rail pressure ~ 47 PSID. Should I just make a change to a different injector or continue to fight with this setup? Thoughts and insight are welcomed!

Tuning Addict
    This tune has transient settings from whipple for a 07 gt500 in it... Don't forget manifold volume... Should hopefully maybe help to get you closer...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think its as much as lower flow rate control as it is the spray pattern causing allot more fuel to stick to the port walls. I have seen multiple people not just you and I have the same problem out of these injectors. I have a set of transient tables that I have used on 2 cars with these injectors that made this issue better and is a good starting point they worked pretty good on a roush and saleen car(both 3v). If I can remember how to post the tune file on here I will try to in the morning.
    Last edited by Devildog1325; 11-30-2017 at 03:46 AM.