Thread: stock 5.3 idle issues

Tuner in Training

stock 5.3 idle issues

1999 5.3 4l60e ever since Ive had this truck it just idles like it has a slight miss(just seems like on) but never shows up on scanners etc. did a leakdown and compression check thinking a burnt valve and cylinder balance plug change ohmed out plug wires etc.
    After thinking ive seen more than a few have this weird idle so I figured id look through my idle settings.
    I have erm's guide but it doesnt specifically state a ORDER to complete these actions. I was wanting someone opinion before going to far
    Is this the order :
    1. calibrate tps % and voltage reset then verify
    2. tune maf and ve (i started from a stock file and did them up to 1500 rpm and the maf equivalent just to make sure it wasnt my other files fault )
    3.calibrated base timing by finding smoothest map in gear and idle with no adaptive idle control and pulled 6 degrees for the final value/
    4. use the adaptive idle spark with a reference to see if base running airflow is too low or too high
    after this im sorda lost on what would come next.

i have noticed my desired and dynamic airflow do not match and read something about adjusting the iac effective area but I would rather go through the steps.

basically im looking for the order of steps ive read the krambo tuning guide but it seems more for cammed motors.

Advanced Tuner
    Take a temp gun and check all the primary exhaust port temps. If there is one a good amount cooler than the rest that is your problem cylinder. I had a similar issue and doing this test i found out the coils was bad. It worked fine at wot but missed a t part throttle and idle. Never gave me a code for a miss.

Tuner in Training
    I feel like a idiot we used to do that on carburetors motors as well lol. I've heard round heat sink coils can't interchange with square coils( something about dwell)is that true ?
    I ask because I just picked up a complete 2001 5.3 that had two grounds on the wiring harness rubbed through

Advanced Tuner
    When i looked at a tunes for both coils they had all the same parameters in the tune. I had squares when i got my motor and swapped to heat sink coils and didn't change my tune and everything works great. I did the swap 2 years ago.