Thread: 02 Chev Silverado 6.0 Running Rich

02 Chev Silverado 6.0 Running Rich

I'm helping a friend tune his truck which neither of us have ever done before. We used a tune from the tune repository. https://www.hptuners.com/customers/t...ownload&id=438 (this is the tune we used). The truck is running good, however it is running rich on bank 1 and 2. I have attached the scan from his drive after adding the tune. Any recommendations would be much appreciated since we have no clue what we're doing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I highly suggest you do not just copy and paste someone else tune into your vehicle or who evers vehicle. One tune will not just magically work on another.

The tune you posted in question has tons of changes done for the mods given, like aftermarket cam, intake/exhaust, throttle body.

Return it to stock and tune it yourself. Use the repository to reference information not to copy other tunes that might throw your tune off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ok will do. We decided to use a tune from the repository because I have no idea what I'm doing and neither does the guy who bought the tuner. This is probably a stupid question but does the tuner learn itself or do you have to make manual adjustments to tune your vehicle? I don't know how I got my self into this.

Potential Tuner
    I have the same engine and i am looking to purchase my own HP tuner. I am kinda researching before doing so. Does the tuner work with stock engines as well or is it worthless tuning a vehicle without upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by A Girl Learning to Tune View Post
    Ok will do. We decided to use a tune from the repository because I have no idea what I'm doing and neither does the guy who bought the tuner. This is probably a stupid question but does the tuner learn itself or do you have to make manual adjustments to tune your vehicle? I don't know how I got my self into this.
    No it does not learn, this is just a tuning tool. You the user are the one that is suppose to understand what you are doing and how the engine/transmission function. The user changes the calibration to the desired needs of the engine/transmission.

Everything you do will be manual changes. Either by do changes for a desired effect like power enrichment changes for air fuel ratio command to quicker shift times or pressures as an example. Other changes would be from data logging with the VCM scanner to see where other changes are needed. Like with aftermarket camshafts that require more air and fuel or adding a supercharger/turbo that require lots of changes to the airflow model to achieve a proper running vehicle.

Buy a few books, read lots of information on tuning. Take a course or two to help yourself understand what is going on. ERM performance offers a decent course for newbies to help them understand this software.

Quote Originally Posted by low eaze View Post
    I have the same engine and i am looking to purchase my own HP tuner. I am kinda researching before doing so. Does the tuner work with stock engines as well or is it worthless tuning a vehicle without upgrades?
    Yes it works on stock engines. If you know what you are doing you can gain a lot in many applications. You can pick up horsepower and torque, improve transmission shifting and overall drive ability to suit your needs.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback.

Potential Tuner
    I am looking into getting the package with HP Academy or The Tuning School. Who do you recommend? Or is this something you can learn from with out buying a package.

Quote Originally Posted by low eaze View Post
    I am looking into getting the package with HP Academy or The Tuning School. Who do you recommend? Or is this something you can learn from with out buying a package.
    I have always liked The Tuning School. I have bought many of their courses