Thread: Fuel pump upgrades for S197 - high flow drop-in replacement options

Fuel pump upgrades for S197 - high flow drop-in replacement options

What high flow drop-in replacement fuel pumps are available for the 05-09 S197 GTs? I see that most blower kits include a fuel pump that requires cutting/splicing the stock wiring harness to slip in the replacement, or to have a piggyback fuel pump. I'd rather much just swap out the entire basket/float assembly like I see with the OE replacement pumps. Is there such a replacement available? I don't want to get the GT500 dual-pump replacement kit from FRPP because A). It's $800 B). I won't need that much fuel capacity. I see a few Walbro's available that *might* work, but will these require a new tune? What about long-term reliability? E85 compatibility?

I'm planning to install a Procharger P-1 HO kit on my 07 GT and everything about it seems easy to install, except I'm not comfortable with ghetto rigging the fuel pump. If I am taking the time to pull out the rear seat and stock pump assembly, I want to get a direct-fit/drop-in fuel pump replacement. I prefer not to cut/splice/solder in a fuel pump. Doing some math, the stock 3V only handles about 525 hp, so that's about 60 lb/min max airflow. With E10 93 octane at 0.8 lambda, we're talking about a pump that needs to flow 6.3 lb/min with a 15% safety factor, so 56.7 gal/h or about 214 lph. Is there a quality/reliable drop-in complete fuel pump replacement that would fit this requirement? Would it require a new tune for the fuel pump?

Advanced Tuner
    DW makes a drop in pump that fits the stock hat. You may still have to end up running a booster depends on how far you are going with boost. I know 2 of these pumps in a Shelby hat usually support up to around 800hp. http://www.deatschwerks.com/blog/new...ment-fuel-pump

Advanced Tuner
    DW300 should do just fine

http://deatschwerks.rpmware.com/deat...i-2195799.aspx
    DW300M Ford In-Tank Fuel Pump
    w/ 9-1034 Install Kit
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I were to install that fuel pump now and not do the power adder just yet, will I need a tune for the fuel pump?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes but it is not hard to tune the Voltage table.

Is there a primer or guide on tuning that table?

Holy crap, there are tons of threads about how the DW300s are prematurely failing. Even American Muscle had a few bad reviews on it. Did they fix the problems??
    Last edited by metroplex; 10-23-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I have aeromotive stealth340’s for my Shelby. Haven’t tried them yet but looking to get rid of my dual boost a pump. More info on the voltage tables would be good.

I spoke with Deatschwerks. They said the stock pump flows 255 lph at 40 psi. Most of the 255s seem to drop to 232 at 50 psi (boost) and with a 15% safety factor, I calculate that it could support 63 lb/min airflow or about 595 hp with a 11:1 AFR or up to 658 hp at 12:1.

They also said a retune is not needed for their DW300.

Why couldn't I run the stock fuel pump with a 525hp blower kit? Like the Procharger HO or an Eforce?

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW,

I just did a 07 Saleen S281 car that for some reason didn't come with the dual pump upgrade. At 10psi w/ headers the stock pump wasn't enough....at all. We ended up putting the dual GT 500 pump set up in it.

Advanced Tuner
    I run two DW pump's in my personal car at 700hp and never had an issue. I would at least run a booster on the stock pump if you are going to run boost.

I'm going to try the DW300 drop-in pump. It looks like that is what Brenspeed is using in his Vortech kit. I also had some Boss 302 47 lb injectors lying around that I will try to use. The last time I attempted to use those injectors, the engine never ran right using the straight FRPP settings or the Boss 302 settings - but I saw that most aftermarket blown tunes with the FRPP/Cobra 39lb injectors only changed 4 scalar settings (Low/High Slow, Min PW, and breakpoint). I'll try that on the 47 lb injectors.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I'm going to try the DW300 drop-in pump. It looks like that is what Brenspeed is using in his Vortech kit. I also had some Boss 302 47 lb injectors lying around that I will try to use. The last time I attempted to use those injectors, the engine never ran right using the straight FRPP settings or the Boss 302 settings - but I saw that most aftermarket blown tunes with the FRPP/Cobra 39lb injectors only changed 4 scalar settings (Low/High Slow, Min PW, and breakpoint). I'll try that on the 47 lb injectors.
    they just released their new DW400 model, you should give that one a shot, they claim is flows 30% more fuel than the Walboro 450

The DW400 isn't quite a direct drop-in and will require wiring upgrades. I don't need that much flow.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    they just released their new DW400 model, you should give that one a shot, they claim is flows 30% more fuel than the Walboro 450
    This is a good looking pump. Going to try them out on something and if it lives up to the high psi flow they claim it might keep some customers from going to three pumps in the future.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    This is a good looking pump. Going to try them out on something and if it lives up to the high psi flow they claim it might keep some customers from going to three pumps in the future.
    Yeah, I'm planning something similar on Coyote's, if those pumps can flow 31% more volume at higher psi than Walboro I can see them being a good set up for this in the 800-1000whp range and avoid going with triple pumps

I installed the new DW300 and it was fairly drop-in except the stock strainer refused to come off, and left the metal ring on the stock pump. I couldn't quite get the strainer to fit, and managed to nick the element a little. I couldn't find a replacement strainer in time, so I slapped the old one on and will swap it out for a Carter replacement once it arrives.

I noticed that 99% of the time, the DW300 sounds/feels just like stock... but this afternoon I did a hot restart (stopped by a grocery store to drop off bottle deposits thanks to idiotic MI bottle laws) and heard what seemed to me like the pump priming itself but it was much louder than the normal priming sound, more like a LOT of gurgling/humming. I was never able to reproduce that sound again.

Got the Carter STS305 pump strainer (sock) and installed it. It took me under 30 minutes to pull out the fuel pump after doing it the first time, if I ever find the engineering team that designed the access hatch system for the fuel pump, I'd like to give them a hug... just because I hated to drop fuel tanks on older cars. The old strainer was fairly pitch black/dark anyhow, so the new Carter strainer should be a good thing by itself. I noticed the pump seemed to flow a lot quieter. I wish someone would have told me to just swap out the strainer, it's under $20 and a no brainer. The Deatschwerks instructions were stupid saying to re-use the stock strainer or their crappy strainer that fits very poorly. The problem with removing the stock strainer is that metal retaining ring pops out and is almost impossible to re-use.

i put a walbro 450lph e85 pump in my factory location prolly need to upgrade my wiring but it works jsut fine

long story short i trimmed the but plastic housing a bit and heated up it up to stretch it enough for the pump to fit

IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7975.jpg