Thread: Change scanner log auto-save location, format?

Potential Tuner

Change scanner log auto-save location, format?

All of my auto-saved logs currently go into my documents folder (as well as all of the configurations, etc), but I would like to change this to a folder on a different drive entirely, as my boot drive is an SSD and I like to keep unnecessary files on other drives. I'd also like to change the default filename format from yy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss to something else. I realize I can simply move the log files and rename them myself, or save them before exiting, but it really would be much simpler if this was done automatically, and it'd be nice to move them all off my SSD I'd even be happy if it wasn't available to change this in the GUI, but made changeable in maybe the config xml or something.

Is this something that can be made possible? Even just moving the auto-save location, if not renaming?

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever figure this out?

Tuner
    I'm trying to set up the VCM scanner to auto save my logs, but I can't figure out how. Or is it automatically doing it and I can't figure out where the files are saved to?

There is no current solution, but it is something on our todo list.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    OK,

Here's a thought... Since every other tuning software I have uses a RED button for STOP, I've deleted dozens of HPT VCM logs by mistake when I automatically and reflexively hit the red button.

How about adding the option to have it ask you if you want to save or overwrite the old log before starting a new one?
    How about switching back to traditional colors where RED is STOP and GREEN is GO?

heh, I believe red record is universal:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=reco...=1252&bih=1451
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    Its not universal if the 2 other dominant software companies in the Ford tuning world use red for stop. I'm tuning a car, not recording a song.

I don't really care what color it is, so long as there is a way to make it easier to not accidentally lose my work.

Quote Originally Posted by realspeeddan View Post
    I'm trying to set up the VCM scanner to auto save my logs, but I can't figure out how. Or is it automatically doing it and I can't figure out where the files are saved to?
    Documents>HP Tuners>VCM Scanner>Logs

They are date and time stamped. You can reopen an auto saved log and then resave in your Logs and Tune directory under a unique vehicle folder you create for each car...at least that is what I do...

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    Thanks.

My "Documents" folder was removed a long time ago when I was custom configuring some of my automatic backups, and I couldn't find any of these auto saved files you talked about.

I had to restore my "Documents" Library folder to it its factory default settings. Once I did that, all of my old logs were somehow still auto-saved and still there!

Potential Tuner
    The full path is C:\Users\Username\My Documents\HP Tuners etc etc etc. The library folder is nothing more than a shortcut to that location.

What I ended up doing for the time being is I set up a symlink that "fools" the software into believing it's saving the files to "My Documents" when it's in fact being put in (my case) D:\HPT.

Open a CMD window and do this: mklink /j "C:\Users\%username%\My Documents\HP Tuners" "D:\HPT" (substitute D:\HPT with wherever you want your files) - You'll still be able to find the files in the My Documents folder, AND in the actual save location, but they're only being SAVED to the latter, not duplicated.

As far as the default save name format, I decided to just deal with it lol.