Thread: Big Cam Idle Surge tuning issue

Potential Tuner

Big Cam Idle Surge tuning issue

I have an 07 Charger R/T that I put a 06 6.1 SRT motor that I rebuilt stock and added a SRT Maxx Plus cam. Cam spec is 218/226 Duration with .566/.556 lift and I'm pretty sure the LSA is 112. I had the a shop known as the gods for tuning mopars tune it with diablo tuner, but they just could not get the surge out of the idle. It was really bad when I did cold start up. They made several attempts and told me it was the cam and nothing they could do about it. I ordered HP Tuners and was able to get my surge down considerably. It was so bad that if you where in gear, it would try to jump ahead and over power the breaks. I was able to get the surge out in gear but still have a little surge in p/n. I have tried every idea I could find in the post with no luck. Any help would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by RTWarpig View Post
    I have an 07 Charger R/T that I put a 06 6.1 SRT motor that I rebuilt stock and added a SRT Maxx Plus cam. Cam spec is 218/226 Duration with .566/.556 lift and I'm pretty sure the LSA is 112. I had the a shop known as the gods for tuning mopars tune it with diablo tuner, but they just could not get the surge out of the idle. It was really bad when I did cold start up. They made several attempts and told me it was the cam and nothing they could do about it. I ordered HP Tuners and was able to get my surge down considerably. It was so bad that if you where in gear, it would try to jump ahead and over power the breaks. I was able to get the surge out in gear but still have a little surge in p/n. I have tried every idea I could find in the post with no luck. Any help would be great.
    I'm sorry but that tune is looking pretty rough. I'd like to take a stab at straightening it out. Email me at [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RTWarpig View Post
    What injectors are you running? Your injector scaling can have a lot to do with idle quality. If it's far enough off, you'll be in a constant state of error. Just plugging your current injector scaling into a spreadsheet I built which calculates theoretical flow in cc/min based on g/ms scaling, it is showing that they flow anywhere from 321 cc/min at their lowest rate to 942 cc/min at their highest rate. Seems a bit suspect.

Looking at your WOT spark table, there's a whole lot of WTF going on in there. VE table is pretty wild, too, in that it has some cells that are indicating you have as low as 8-12% volumetric efficiency. Seems like it's been hacked in an attempt to compensate for the jacked up injector scaling...
    Last edited by B00STJUNKY; 09-28-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Potential Tuner
    its all stock minus the cam and tune. When i do a scan, by VE tables are usually adjusting less than 5 either way.

To help with the idle surge, set your lowest minimum idle speed to all minimum idle tables. The fact they've set your base Idle to 748rpm in Drive and Neutral, but minimum idle to 858rpm will definitely get things to play against each other.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Tuner
    That cam will idle just fine when you get the tune lined out. I have a 234/242 112 LSA and it idles like a champ. You could bump the "Throttle Body Airflow" up at 0 volts to about 7 and at .1 to about 9.5 for starters

Potential Tuner
    I currently have the 2014 Challenger R/T with the 274 Compcam installed.
    It's still naturally aspirated and has been tuned with Diablosport CMR tuning.
    The tuning worked great till about 3 days later the vehicle would relearn it's
    parameters and ended up losing performance. Not sure what it was... Could have
    been Dodge re-flash upgrade required? Not sure...

I just got my vehicle re-flashed with Dodge Vehicle Performance 18-033-17 REV.A then got it tuned with HP tuners. My vehicle idles really smooth with
    a rhythmic lobe to it at idle.. really nice. :-)
    The horsepower is back to normal. I'm very happy with the tune.

I agree with FlyinRyan the tune must be revised.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by UHemiNow View Post
    That cam will idle just fine when you get the tune lined out. I have a 234/242 112 LSA and it idles like a champ. You could bump the "Throttle Body Airflow" up at 0 volts to about 7 and at .1 to about 9.5 for starters
    Nice! How many cubic inches are you running?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppyPreston View Post
    Nice! How many cubic inches are you running?
    6.1 based 440

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by UHemiNow View Post
    6.1 based 440
    Freaking sweet