Thread: Why is my car pulling timing in 3rd and 4th gear?

Potential Tuner

Why is my car pulling timing in 3rd and 4th gear?

Hey HPT family,

Im fairly new so please direct me to a correct post if I'm not in the right place or the information has been posted before. With that said....

I have a 2012 CTSV wagon. only mods are Airaid intake and SW catback exhaust with QTP cutouts. The run that did was a 40 roll with a tune from a modified V with the same mods. Only thing I didnt take from that tune were all the trans mods (I kept my trans basically stock but removed the TM. The other tune i copied from made my trans shift weird and i wasnt comfortable with it). Initially when i got on it everything seemed fine and the pull was smooth except for my by manual/auto shifting, stupid driver, but when i looked at the log 3rd and 4th gear the timing was pulled drastically. The IATs seemed fine and im not sure what caused KR to kick in and pull timing. The pull was at the tail end of the log file, sorry for it being so long still actively learning and I was by myself. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated. Attached is my modified tune (Delvin Mod V2) and the tune that I got it from (Mod V) Thanks for the teaching moment.

7.hplDelvin Mod V2.hptMod V.hpt

Could be burst knock for some of it but you aren't logging that. You can also log the type of torque mngt happening to see what is pulling timing.

Personally I disabled burst knock, just gets in the way. I'd also be careful with how much TM you remove from the transmission as the 6L80e can get pretty fussy if you do to much. Or damage can be done if not enough is left on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks 5FDP. Should I set my Delay, Hold Time, and Decay Time to 0 or max it out at 65.XX? Also the individual multiplier tabs should I set those to 0 as well? As far as the TM i didnt play with the Shift timing or pressure changes. Shifts alot better than the modV tune that i initially copied verbatim.

Gotta hunch that's real knock, 25* advance @ 9psi might be a bit much, even for the LSA. Not sure what fuel you're running though
    2012 C6 Base, Kooks 1-7/8" LT, Catted, NPP
    Novi 1500SL, 10% OD IW, Big Blower Cam, Flip Drive, 2x Alky, ID1000
    Nitto NT05R 305x19, 255x18 on CCW T10s
    Self built and tuned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod2UTqrVwM

Base vs cylairdelta is the only table you need to change, just set it to zero.

I with NJ_Phil though on some of it though, it looks like real knock if you are running pump gas. That's more timing than I would want to run on 93 octane. The burst knock part of it was for random knock events that can happen, it'll pull timing but the knock retard pid won't show knock.

Like after the first shift it was asking for 24 degrees of timing, then went to 12. Your burst knock table can pull up to 12 degrees of timing so that was just a guess at what might be pulling timing after the shift. The later knock looks real.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    OK. From stock the timing was increased by 3*. I will back it down 1* and do a log again. Im running pump fuel 92iirc. I will also adjust the burst knock down as well. In the area where the knock occurs my spark table has it commanded around 23* avg. maybe theres another factor bumping it up to 25*. Ill have to look more closely. whats strange is the knock didnt occur in 2nd gear with the same spark amount only in 3rd and 4th. But like I said I will back it down and basically put it back to stock slowly .

Your IAT and PE/COT is adding timing, you can view that in your log.

It's adding anywhere from 1-5 degrees it looks like.