Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with knock retard

Tuner
    Knock learn is a factor so 0.00 is high octane table & 1.00 is low octane table and it relates to base advance timing. Example: If high octane timing was 29* and low octane table was 18* and your knock learn factor was 0.5, your base advance timing would be 23.5*.

Thanks for all the help!

Attached are two logs from today.

Changes made: Injector Timing, I put the base idle advance back to stock, burst kr removed, -5 degrees from high octane table, copied high octane over low octane

The car ran great in the morning at 50 degrees F. Not even a blip of knock that I seen. Was really exciting!

On the way home I scanned again and there was some knock. It was about 65 degrees F. It was also tough to keep idling. At one point it must have been knocking quite a bit as I could feel the car stumble a little. Still couldn't hear anything though.

I didn't change the VVE table between the early scan and the late scan. Should I be ok to change the VVE table or should I make other changes first.

VE-tune-50fdegrees.hpl
    VE-tune-65fdegrees.hpl

Was just thinking that the stumble that I felt yesterday while I was getting some knock was probably a miss. I will try to pull all the plugs to take a look. It seems to be running pretty rich right now in most of the VVE range so maybe the plugs are fouled a little?

I am going to apply the VVE changes from yesterday and see how it does this morning. It is cold though. Only 37 degrees f or so.

I think that tuning VE is making the car run better. I might switch back to running MAF only though until I purchase the tuning guide from ERM and setup my data filters. Attached is a log I took in the morning at about 40 degrees. Then the tune I created from that log. Then a log from the afternoon and was about 60 degrees out. Had a little bit of knock but it seems to coincide with going towards the lean side. I have to look at the logs more. The problem that I am concerned with right now is idle. It will idle just after starting very well for about 10 seconds then it will die. Then it is a bitch to keep running till I get it going a bit and it warms up a little.

Anyone have any ideas on if it is just how I have changed the VVE table or if is the stock base spark table I put in?

Log from the morning -- VE-tune-40fdegrees.hpl
    Tune created from that log -- VVETune-2.hpt
    Log from the afternoon -- VE-tune-60fdegrees.hpl

Tuner
    Hey mate, sorry have been busy myself, damn auto's. Don't get to hungup on ambient temp, the tune accounts for day to day atmospherics. Just get engine up to normal operating temp as that is the data you need to use for tuning VE, cranking, cold start, warmup are taken care of by other adder tables.

Can you take a log from cold cranking and let the engine idle to operating temp. You are correct with slight knock around lean area, which is your cruise area. Richen it slightly, maybe 2%, you can see the trends in the error graph, only alter the trends and then lightly smooth in the cells around changes.

Also under Fuel -> General -> Injector Control -> Desoot Mode -> Change to Disable. When enabled under fuel enrichment situations such as PE, the AFR will go lean for a period to burn off soot deposits. Not that you are there yet but might as well change it now if you wish to.
    Last edited by Codes; 10-15-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Desoot Mode

No problem at all. I appreciate your help greatly.

I was doing some more reading and read up on the rich after flash. I have just been logging from starting to stopping. Even right after flashing. Instead of using the latest log to modify the VVE table I am going to take a new log tomorrow after it is warmed up. I will also take an initial log of it just idling if I can keep it running. Later I will make the change for Desoot Mode so that I won't have to worry about the rich after flash. I was going to skip more tuning in VE and go back to MAF only mode till I got data filtering figured out but I will try this a bit longer and maybe I can figure out the idle issue. I am sure it is something to do with one of the adder tables for ECT.

I was looking at the injector timing tables but the only change I made so far was zeroing out the RPM table.

I was looking at the log VE-tune-40fdegrees.hpl posted in #24 this morning and it is a log from cold cranking. I noticed that while still in open loop the O2 sensors read richer and richer up to -20 stft till it goes to closed loop. As soon as it hits closed loop the O2 stft reads close to zero and the car dies. Then it is tough to get it started and running well again without giving it throttle. I am still learning a lot of this and trying to figure out what the log is telling me. Thanks to everyone for the help!