Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VVE Tuning with Wideband help

Tuner in Training

VVE Tuning with Wideband help

I setup my wideband and and created VE AFR Error histogram (RPM vs Map) and a AFR Err with Mass Airflow Frequency.

My question is can I correct both tables at the dame time with the paste special %.. Or should i do them in a certain order (i.e. MAF freq first then go scan an log first then do the VE (RPM/Map) correction? or vice versa.?

B

They need to be done separate. You have to disabled the MAF while tuning the VVE and set the MAF to work much lower when doing the MAF.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    They need to be done separate. You have to disabled the MAF while tuning the VVE and set the MAF to work much lower when doing the MAF.
    Do these steps look correct for Disabling the MAF?

1. MAF Frequency Fail High and Low to "0Hz"

2. Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit High and LO to "MIL on First Error"

3. Disable low octane spark

4. Disable DFCO and CFCO

5. Disable Power Enrichment

6. Disable torque management

Lastly, It is more effective to use the AFR error % than the STFTs, Correct?

B

1. Set high fail to 2hz and low fail to 1hz. Sometimes they don't like it when both are 0hz and even once in a great while the low fail needs to be higher than the high fail. Log MAF status to know it's failed.

2. Set P0101, 102 and 103 to MIL on first error.

3. You are welcome to copy over the high octane to the low octane table to make them both the same.

4. Yes, also disable STFT and LTFT if using a AFR or Lambda error.

5. No, never do that. The lambda/AFR error that you created will work in PE as it is just telling you the error against the commanded. So if you where lean or rich in PE the error would show you that.

6. No real need for that either, you can leave it as you always had it.

Like said above, if you are using the wideband to tune you will need to disable the fuel trims to stop it from making corrections on the fly for you. You are using the wideband to log the error and making changes solely with that. Once you are done tuning you can re-enable the fuel trims and see what it's like. If need be you can fine tune the tables using fuel trims.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    1. Set high fail to 2hz and low fail to 1hz. Sometimes they don't like it when both are 0hz and even once in a great while the low fail needs to be higher than the high fail. Log MAF status to know it's failed.

3. You are welcome to copy over the high octane to the low octane table to make them both the same.

5. No, never do that. The lambda/AFR error that you created will work in PE as it is just telling you the error against the commanded. So if you where lean or rich in PE the error would show you that.

Like said above, if you are using the wideband to tune you will need to disable the fuel trims to stop it from making corrections on the fly for you. You are using the wideband to log the error and making changes solely with that. Once you are done tuning you can re-enable the fuel trims and see what it's like. If need be you can fine tune the tables using fuel trims.
    Roger that. How do i disable STFT. I see the LTFT and was able to disable that. After making the updates to disable the MAF the car won't start. I guess it must be way out of sync. I thought the car was running pretty good. But it relative considering I am comparing it to my Old BBC i had in the car.

If you have time can you look at my tune to see if anything jumps out at you as to why it won't start now? Thanks in advance.

tune_maf_disable_1.hpt

Bennie

Tuner in Training

Okay i got it running by increasing the idle airflow and idle speed. Are there simple steps to MAF tuning?

Thanks!

B

Tuner
    Ben to disable closed loop set the table ECT vs Startup ECT to 140*C, you can also set the table under that O2 Readiness ECT to 140*C, that will disable closed loop & o2 sensor tests.

Eng -> Fuel -> OL & CL -> Closed Loop -> ECT vs Startup ECT

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    Ben to disable closed loop set the table ECT vs Startup ECT to 140*C, you can also set the table under that O2 Readiness ECT to 140*C, that will disable closed loop & o2 sensor tests.

Thanks! I'll give that a go..

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bendiesel View Post
    Thanks! I'll give that a go..
    Codes, after i do that, how do i tune the MAF? Do I simply use the steps above an then continue to tune against the STFT with the MAF enabled and the update the VVE table with the % correction?

B

Use the how to's in the VCM scanner section, they do a good job at telling you what steps to take.

Tuner in Training

So to clarify... I want to do the MAF calibration test with "Closed Loop" disabled, Correct?

Thanks,
    B

Tuner
    Ok your confusing me a little here, let's start from the top:

Closed Loop = Fuel Trims Enabled
    Open Loop = Fuel Trims Disabled

If you have a wideband, disable fuel trims & log fuel error via your wideband lambda error graph. Use the wideband to tune both the VVE & Maf tables, but tune them separately and individually. So:

Speed Density = Fail the Maf & Tune the VVE Table
    Maf Only = Tune the Maf table with no interference from the VVE Table

Your tune above in PosT #5 is set up to fail the Maf.

First decide what you are tuning Maf or VVE and set the tune accordingly to tune one or the other. (If you are going to use both the Maf and VVE you will tune both just separately)
    Then decide if you will be using Fuel Trims to tune or wideband to tune.
    Setup graphs to log error data using the wideband or fuel trims ( whatever you decided in the previous step and either the Maf or VVE)

Tuner in Training
    Ok your confusing me a little here, let's start from the top:

Closed Loop = Fuel Trims Enabled
    Open Loop = Fuel Trims Disabled

If you have a wideband, disable fuel trims & log fuel error via your wideband lambda error graph. Use the wideband to tune both the VVE & Maf tables, but tune them separately and individually. So:

Speed Density = Fail the Maf & Tune the VVE Table
    Maf Only = Tune the Maf table with no interference from the VVE Table

Your tune above in PosT #5 is set up to fail the Maf.

First decide what you are tuning Maf or VVE and set the tune accordingly to tune one or the other. (If you are going to use both the Maf and VVE you will tune both just separately)
    Then decide if you will be using Fuel Trims to tune or wideband to tune.
    Setup graphs to log error data using the wideband or fuel trims ( whatever you decided in the previous step and either the Maf or VVE)
    First i want to say thanks for all your help!

I think I understand now. The only thing that is confusing to me is for MAF tuning "Tune the Maf table with no interference from the VVE Table" How do disable the VVE table?

Ben

Tuner
    No problem, set your Dynamic airflow High & Low RPM to something low, like 400 rpm and 390 rpm.

Eng -> Airflow -> Dynamic -> Dynamic Airflow -> High RPM Disable & High RPM Re-Enable.

Tuner in Training
    No problem, set your Dynamic airflow High & Low RPM to something low, like 400 rpm and 390 rpm.

Eng -> Airflow -> Dynamic -> Dynamic Airflow -> High RPM Disable & High RPM Re-Enable.
    Awesome! Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Can someone take a snapshot of how to start tuning the MAF???

Tuner in Training
    Okay, last question. I want to preface this with my tuning knowledge is limited to (accelerator pumps, squirters, power valves, jets, and such)

To have a well tuned LS I just need the following?

Correct timing
    VE Table calibrated
    MAF calibrated
    PE calibrated

Lastly how much timing should i be running? Can i just grab timing stock timing from a camaro/covette LS3 or do I need more based on my setup? Can someone share their high octane timing tables with me?

l92
    tsp cam 229/244
    mid length headers

70 chevelle
    4l80e
    3:42 gear ratio
    Last edited by bendiesel; 09-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Senior Tuner
    best to set timing up on a dyno where u can see torque and hp gains and where it levels out so u dont go too far, if your timing isn't stock u could check on a stock one and start from there but if it's ok now just build on that

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    best to set timing up on a dyno where u can see torque and hp gains and where it levels out so u dont go too far, if your timing isn't stock u could check on a stock one and start from there but if it's ok now just build on that
    07Gts, what about this part?

To have a well tuned LS I just need the following?

Correct timing
    VE Table calibrated
    MAF calibrated
    PE calibrated

Ben

Tuner
    Correct Ben, I would do it in this order though:

Verified Injector Data (If changing or have changed them)
    Injection Timing (If cam has changed - There's a pretty good thread on here about injection timing)
    Set PE to A/F Ratio you want + fuel based - You can run this a tad richer whilst tuning)
    VE Calibrated
    Maf Calibrated
    Correct Timing (Zero KR - Run conservative timing whilst dialing in VE & Maf)
    Correct Idle (AC On AC Off + P/N & Drive if Auto Trans - Also another guide on here for idle tuning)

Those are the basics, once mods start happening it can get a bit more involved to have a well behaved daily driver. A suggestion would be to check out Ed Mowton tutorial http://www.ermperformancetuning.com/