Thread: Timing on 2007 Mustang

Tuner in Training

Timing on 2007 Mustang

I'm needing help figuring out which PID is actual timing vs commanded. I have attached a log.

Just looking for what SPARK(?BTDC) vs SPARKADV(?BTDC) means

In the end just trying to figure out if its knocking since you cant just read the knock count on the 2007 Mustang cars

This is a stock 427R Roush

Thanks,stock_3rd_gear.csv

Senior Tuner
    You should be able to log spark retard on the nGauge. Post the tune because it might not even use knock sensors. I'm actually surprised that Roush runs as much timing as yours was running on those

Tuner
    The early (2005-2008) Eaton M90 Roush tunes were very aggressive with timing and lean afr. I think the only reason they were able to get away with it was the boost was so low and the supercharger so tiny.

Tuner in Training
    I looked everywhere on the nGuage for knock reading.

Here is the stock tune and yes the timing is very high but its also very rich. I plan to lean it out and shoot for around 18 once I figure out how to actually read knock
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by black05silverado View Post
    I looked everywhere on the nGuage for knock reading.

Here is the stock tune and yes the timing is very high but its also very rich. I plan to lean it out and shoot for around 18 once I figure out how to actually read knock
    30 degrees of timing with a load of 1.4, plus 2+ degrees for lambda = 32 degrees and a commanded lambda at .8 and the knock sensor only allowed to pull 5 degrees? (!) Its a wonder every one of those didn't blow up. Lots of times we cant run 30 degrees NA on the 3V without the knock sensor going off, on 93 octane.

As for what to log, I wish I could tell you in HPT, but with the older cars I did them all with another software. I do know that there are usually two spark values that you can log that give you the identical reading. One is a DMR direct memory read and one is a PID, but they are both the same thing.

If you can find and log Borderline Knock and compare that to actually spark, usually the difference is either A) How much the Knock Sensor is pulling out, or B) how much the spark is being clipped by the MBT table.

Senior Tuner
    I tune 3v with HP Tuners and log knock retard and it works fine. Not sure there's not something different with the strategy Roush uses they don't have mapped in the software if you can't log that.

Tuner in Training
    I dont think its different maybe I just got bad info.

I was told the knock retard PID in the hp tuners Scanner doesnt work on the older cars...maybe that was before the scanner update 2.25

If you try and search for this question there is lots of confusion on how to actually log knock on these

My 2011 is much easier for knock count. Thats about the only thing thats easier though

Thanks,