Thread: Advice on switching from Big Named tuner to self tuned

Advice on switching from Big Named tuner to self tuned

I have a 2015 mustang GT with a Paxton, 6r80 and a 3C stall. I am currently using one biggest ford tuners out there and I am thinking about buying the HP tuner software and running the car myself. I know this will be risky and difficult but I have a few questions.

1. Are there and base tunes out there for cars with my similar modifications that I can use as a starting point
    2. What is the most difficult aspect of self tuning?
    3, Are there any tuners out there that will help you build a base tune for a fee?

There is a 2017 with a PD blower (not a snail) and MT82, in the repository that you can use as a base. There are many calibrations that have been modified for the 6R80 in there as well. Self tuning can be a long slope dependent on your knowledge and experience with engines/ECUs/Torque based strategies etc. The forum is an excellent resource. There are quite a few Ford tuners who can assist with issues. Most good calibration shops encode their hard work and to find one who would provide a close base for your kit, might prove difficult. However, there are (again) a group of very helpful experienced tuners on the forum that will provide you solid answers to your questions while you come up to speed.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Where is the repository?

Senior Tuner
    Depends who the tuner you're using now is. Some of the best known Ford tuners out there are far from the best Ford tuners.

Unless you want to dedicate a lot of time to learning you're honestly probably not best off tuning it yourself. What is the reason you're considering switching? If you're having small issues a tuner that will spend more time with you fine tuning things might just be what you need.

I am willing to dedicate the time and I do all my own work on all other things. I am thinking about tuning the car myself because I like to know how they set everything up without asking them. I also want to be able to make adjustments at the track without waiting on revisions. Plus no one cares more about the health of my engine than I do. I am having an issue with the car not shifting until it hits the rev limiter.

Senior Tuner
    Well if you want it to be as fast as possible you probably are better off tuning yourself because of things like that...

You don't even have to have much in depth tuning knowledge to command your shifts at different RPMs. The key is to get someone that knows what they are doing to get you close and tell you the little things to experiment with to see what gets you running the fastest.

I'm guessing you don't have HP Tuners yet?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Well if you want it to be as fast as possible you probably are better off tuning yourself because of things like that...

You don't even have to have much in depth tuning knowledge to command your shifts at different RPMs. The key is to get someone that knows what they are doing to get you close and tell you the little things to experiment with to see what gets you running the fastest.

I'm guessing you don't have HP Tuners yet?
    There is more to it than RPM....you have to know ALL of the parameters needed to command a shift when desired.

Tuner
    Two words: Greg Banish. Buy anything he has, read anything he's written, watch his DVD and BluRay set. Search out his answers on the forums. Greg is an actual calibrator at the OEM level. I can tell you that as an engineering student who is lucky to work at the OEM level while I'm in school he IS without a doubt the only one who is shooting guys straight. The way things are done at this level is what everyone should be shooting for on a street car.

I will certainly look him up. I don't have HP tuners but I am going to buy it and start trying to develop my own tune. I think I can take data logs from my current tune and reverse engineer some of the data like timing and fuel. I think my biggest challenges will be the knock sensors, variable cam timing and transmission shifts. I wish I would have started tuning on the car when it was a stick on motor. I appreciate all the advice.