Thread: cold start stall 3v stroker

Tuner in Training

cold start stall 3v stroker

I just purchased this car a couple weeks ago from a location at basically zero elevation and drove it 16 hours home to where I live at 1700 feet. Going through the mountain it stalled on me while coming to a stop with the clutch in and ran rich enough to continue to stall itself out unless I gave it a lot of throttle to get it cleared up. I chalked this up to the car being tuned at a different elevation with likely not enough room for the LT fuel trims to compensate for. Now that it is home and I have been able to drive it a few more times I have found that it will do this almost every morning and then is usually good once its been running for a minute.

I found that the tune was calling .79-.85 lamba on start up and thought I had found the problem. I made some changes to the cold start commanded lamba table and them mad e a cold start to reify. The log below is of a successful cold start and run until key off followed by several more start attempts to make sure it was fixed. 2nd, 3rd and 4th start attempts were unassisted by my foot on the accelerator pedal. The 5thand 6th starts were very rich but I was able to keep it running with some pedal.

I'm starting to think I have a faulty part somewhere like a map sensor or throttlebody but I don't see the evidence of that in the log file

The car is a 05 gt 3v stroked to 5.0 with moderate cams, full exhaust, 2.3 whipple, stock throttle body, gt500 dual fuel pumps.

05 gt500 clone 1.hpt
    gt500 cold start stall 2nd.hpl
    Last edited by stangslayer; 08-31-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Senior Tuner
    this have a regulator hooked to vacuum and boost?

What injectors are installed?

Fuel pressure is all over the place, need to log injector pulsewidth if you can, might be bumping along your min pulsewidth, when the car is warmer itll command less and less fuel at startup, trying to close down the injector.

Tuner in Training
    the injectors are 39lb ford racing blue tops.

Ive tried to log injector pulse width on my previous vehicle also an 05 mustang but was not able to find a supported pid. Ill try again tonight.
    05 mustang GT with 3v 5.0 and a 2.3 whipple